Anybody know what these go to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevewatr

Active User
Registered
Hello,
Found these while cleaning out the home shop of a retired machinist friend who passed away. Familly has been scrapping tons of hardware and tooling, but I have managed ro rescue some items. Many of the tool holders and jigs were his own creations, but this pair is not. The equipment there is an Atlas lathe, Hendey lathe, and Brown & Sharpe horizontal milling machine, but these do not appear to belong to any of those. Hate to throw them out, not knowing what they are.

Steve.

If I had to guess I'd say they're bearing supports from a overhead countershaft.

overhead.jpg

overhead.jpg

They are bearing blocks for supporting a rotating shaft. Could be used as illustrated,or as part of an out dated overhead line shaft system. They are not too desirable since they are bronze bearings.

They are not too desirable since they are bronze bearings.

I was afraid of that, I think they might have been for a southbend, found these on Ebay, but I do not think they are selling, even though the price was dropped to $46, but then again, maybe I should at least try to sell them, they are not worth didly in scrap prices. Thanks again gentlemen.

Steve.

Yup, Bearing blocks alright actually hangers for a "Jack Shaft"

"Billy G"

Yup, Bearing blocks alright actually hangers for a "Jack Shaft"

"Billy G"

Sounds like we have a concensus. So, are the housings made to swivel like they do in case perfect alignment of the brackets is not possible, like uneven ceiling joists?

Steve.

Yes, the full rotational movement is for alignment. The drive from a single motor could drive multiple machines at the same time. The Jack Shaft was mounted overhead or behind the machines to drive them all at once.

"Billy G"

Thanks Bill, I'm closing this thread, and throwing up oon auction to see wich way the wind blows. I'll obfiscate in the title, and use lots of question marks.

Steve W.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back