Anybody switch tool types between roughing and finishing on a lathe?

Let's be honest we all take the last thou off with abrasive cloth anyway. :)

You're better than I am....it's probably a lot more than one thou for me...lol

IMHO (I'm just a retired tool-maker/hobbiest) I spend my money on steel to make things with and use HSS tool bits to cut the steel. I don't get involved in production style moneysaving, 100 units per corner, etc., carbide.

I get that. I'm more concerned about saving time than money at this point. Being able to swap tools quickly will save me time and if I can save a few bucks at the same time it makes sense.

I think it's worth simply experimenting and pushing your lathe to see what happens. Swapping tools can get you a great finish/ save more fragile cutting edges, but requires you to leave enough material to make a fresh cut, measure and re zero before making a final cut. Whereas pushing a tool harder to hit dimension on a final decent cut takes allot of practice and confidence. Still, it's always fun to experiment!

That's what I'm thinking as well. The CNMG holder/inserts showed up so I was eager to give them a try. I went from roughing with CNMG 432 to finishing with CCMT 32.51 and was quite happy with the results. I didn't have a lot of time to spend on it, but I wasn't close to pushing the CNMG hard and the chips say I can increase the DOC and feed rate quite a bit. I was actually very pleasantly surprised with the finish the CNGM left so that's a big plus.

I have an upcoming project where I intend to see how this all works out. I'll be making multiple identical (I hope!) parts so I can experiment a bit more and see what works well. I'm already planning to document the project for my blog as it's related to bench vises. I'm going to add notes on the material(s), inserts, DOC, feed rates, etc as well and will circle back here and post it in the member's project area in case it will help anybody else out in the future.

Back