Anybody used this set-up?

CoopVA

Active User
Registered
The motor that came with my CO DP is 3/4hp 220/440v 1140rpm 3phase.

I would like to put a new motor with a VFD and am thinking of going with a 1HP.

This setup looks very promising and the price isn't bad at all.

http://dealerselectric.com/item.asp?PID=6900

Anyone use this set-up? If so, do you like it?

If you have 220 v available it's better to use it, you draw half the amp and it's cheaper to run. You could just use the same motor with a VFD. I'd say it's a personal preference but I'm trying to get all my tools to 220 v 1 phase power to eliminate the need for special equipment to run them.

Todd

If you have 220 v available it's better to use it, you draw half the amp and it's cheaper to run. You could just use the same motor with a VFD. I'd say it's a personal preference but I'm trying to get all my tools to 220 v 1 phase power to eliminate the need for special equipment to run them.

Todd

Thanks for the reply Todd. I can't get 3ph 220. I can get a VFD for the rating of the motor, and I sent a message to the website asking if my motor is VFD compatible. But for $100 more than what the VFD for my motor costs I can get a VFD with a new motor that is matched to the VFD...

Lorne

Thanks for the reply Todd. I can't get 3ph 220. I can get a VFD for the rating of the motor, and I sent a message to the website asking if my motor is VFD compatible. But for $100 more than what the VFD for my motor costs I can get a VFD with a new motor that is matched to the VFD...

Lorne

Depending on the VFD some are 220 v input and I've found very few 3 phase motors are not VDF compatible. For about $100 you can get a static phase convertor dual hp rated 1-3, 3-5 that is what I'm using to run my machines mills 1 ph and my lathe is 5 hp they run just fine. I'd have to search for the company but they were in Tonawanda, NY. I had an Anderson convertor but it quit after about two years.

Todd

Depending on the VFD some are 220 v input and I've found very few 3 phase motors are not VDF compatible. For about $100 you can get a static phase convertor dual hp rated 1-3, 3-5 that is what I'm using to run my machines mills 1 ph and my lathe is 5 hp they run just fine. I'd have to search for the company but they were in Tonawanda, NY. I had an Anderson convertor but it quit after about two years.

Todd

Thanks. I'd like to check out all my options. Does the phase converter provide speed control? I don't think they do and they also run the motors at 2/3 the rated HP...

Not Vari-drive, unfortunately... This drill press has the step pulleys to change speed. A VFD will give better speed control. I appreciate you taking the time to explain your set up!

Lorne

Not a problem I've played with a lot of different combinations to get what I want, I'm also using DC motors on some tool for the variable speed and torque. I just set up my 14" Delta band saw with with the 1hp 3ph 220v of my B&S grinder with a VDF for resawing wood and it works great.

Todd

Not a problem I've played with a lot of different combinations to get what I want, I'm also using DC motors on some tool for the variable speed and torque. I just set up my 14" Delta band saw with with the 1hp 3ph 220v of my B&S grinder with a VDF for resawing wood and it works great.

Todd

Which VFD are you using?

The other issue I think I have is that the spindle has a six step pulley on it but the motor has a single small diameter pulley. Should a get a step pulley for the motor? I read somewhere that for VFD use as speed control, the press should be set at the midrange of the step pulleys. I assume at as close to 1:1 as possible. Also heard that for VFD use, a 1hp motor was better than the 3/4hp one I have.

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to just go ahead and try it with what I have, but I really want to just do this once...

Back