Anyone else get carried away with 3d printed tool storage?

Not up to the high standards that have been set here, but here is my initial entry. Semi wrap around on 1.5" 80/20. No fasteners needed. Printed a 5 degree wedge that goes between the 80/20 and the splash guard, which tilts the 80/20 up by 5 degrees. Design based on vtcnc's post, but designed for 1.5" 80/20. Hope it holds up, if not, I will design something else. Tight but sliding fit on the 80/20. I have since widened the cross section on the vertical from 5mm to 8mm. Draft mode, 0.3mm, 20% infill, 3 wide perimeter. Made 11 holders.
PXL_20221205_210457958.jpgPXL_20221203_150625436.jpg
Need to work on holders for my drill chuck and live center. They will need to be made a bit sturdier.

Not up to the high standards that have been set here, but here is my initial entry. Semi wrap around on 1.5" 80/20. No fasteners needed. Printed a 5 degree wedge that goes between the 80/20 and the splash guard, which tilts the 80/20 up by 5 degrees. Design based on vtcnc's post, but designed for 1.5" 80/20. Hope it holds up, if not, I will design something else. Tight but sliding fit on the 80/20. I have since widened the cross section on the vertical from 5mm to 8mm. Draft mode, 0.3mm, 20% infill, 3 wide perimeter. Made 11 holders.
View attachment 428868View attachment 428869
Need to work on holders for my drill chuck and live center. They will need to be made a bit sturdier.
Really super job! How long is your print?

Really super job! How long is your print?
About 1hr 10min for a single holder. I went with 4 lines for the perimeter, rather than the normal 2. After trying out the single holder, I then filled the sheet and did 9 at once. That was ~ 10h 33min.

Went with 0.2mm layer height for the wedges, a pair of them was 43 minutes. Put in a 10mm clearance hole for the 3/8"-16 bolt.

Here's another ugly entry. This is intended to be a drill chuck holder (MT3 arbor) for my lathe. Made it 2" wide. Printed on it's side with supports for the "brackets" and the hole. There's a little flattening at the top and bottom of the hole, but overall came out ok. Fits on 1.5" 80/20.
PXL_20221209_003635523.jpgPXL_20221209_003709765.jpgPXL_20221209_003728695.jpg
Just barely finished printing it. Had 10 turns left on the last layer of the spool. Here it is with the rest of the family.
PXL_20221209_005644380.jpg
Need to make one more for my live center. Will do that one tomorrow.

Last edited:
Here's another ugly entry. This is intended to be a drill chuck holder (MT3 arbor) for my lathe. Made it 2" wide. Printed on it's side with supports for the "brackets" and the hole. There's a little flattening at the top and bottom of the hole, but overall came out ok. Fits on 1.5" 80/20.
View attachment 429312View attachment 429313View attachment 429314
Just barely finished printing it. Had 10 turns left on the last layer of the spool. Here it is with the rest of the family.
View attachment 429315
Need to make one more for my live center. Will do that one tomorrow.

Looks excellent to me. The walls, top and bottom layers look great, and the surface finish is as good as you'll get with FDM.

There's certainly nothing there that I'd call ugly. Your Prusa seems to be running quite nicely!

Excellent work!

Looks excellent to me. The walls, top and bottom layers look great, and the surface finish is as good as you'll get with FDM.

There's certainly nothing there that I'd call ugly. Your Prusa seems to be running quite nicely!

Excellent work!
It's functional, but not pretty. Someday I'll get a little better at the design part of things and make my designs a bit more artistic.

Managed to get the PLA dialed in. Need to tackle PETG next.

It's functional, but not pretty. Someday I'll get a little better at the design part of things and make my designs a bit more artistic.

Managed to get the PLA dialed in. Need to tackle PETG next.

Have you seen the results of acetone vapor polishing, on 3d printed ABS. That'll certainly make it pretty.

Attachments

• JWE_0468.jpg
    JWE_0468.jpg
    493.6 KB · Views: 71
Have you seen the results of acetone vapor polishing, on 3d printed ABS. That'll certainly make it pretty.
No I hadn't. But that's not what I meant. My design was utilitarian and plain. It could use some additional design flair. At this point, I'm just glad I can make stuff at all. But in the future I'd like things to have nicer design elements. Need to get better at CAD, still pretty much a beginner. Just practice, practice, practice, in that order.

Back