Anyone ever build a bicycle frame?

Before you start a kit have a look here
I can vouch for the quality of his plans or just use the pics for inspiration.
I've built the low racer but with underseat steering, 2 tadpole trikes, a tall bike and a full on springer fork chopper.
Just as a matter of interest if you have never ridden a recumbent you are in for a treat at how comfortable and fast they are, no more sitting on a razor blade.
me_n_bikes.jpg

If you lived locally I would give you the tilting trike I was halfway through building.
As I couldnt ride any more (knees and hips) I lost interest in finishing it.

Having helped a buddy build one, weld, weld, weld. Machining parts is soooo much slower than welding them!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Having helped a buddy build one, weld, weld, weld. Machining parts is soooo much slower than welding them!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I’d definitely have to upgrade my TIG skills!

I've built the low racer but with underseat steering, 2 tadpole trikes, a tall bike and a full on springer fork chopper.
Just as a matter of interest if you have never ridden a recumbent you are in for a treat at how comfortable and fast they are, no more sitting on a razor blade.

The problem I have with recumbents is there are just too many choices. Bike or trike. Short wheel base or long wheel base. Big wheels, small wheels or some combination. Sitting up high or sitting down low. Tadpole or Delta. Etc.

I would like to try one sometime but they are just too expensive to make the wrong choice on what would work for me. It seems like everyone that rides a recumbent on an ongoing basis has several different ones so I don't think I am the only one that doesn't know where to start.

P.S. I am a person that will only buy used automobiles and with the price of bicycles I will pretty much only buy used there too.

:)

The problem I have with recumbents is there are just too many choices. Bike or trike. Short wheel base or long wheel base. Big wheels, small wheels or some combination. Sitting up high or sitting down low. Tadpole or Delta. Etc.

I would like to try one sometime but they are just too expensive to make the wrong choice on what would work for me. It seems like everyone that rides a recumbent on an ongoing basis has several different ones so I don't think I am the only one that doesn't know where to start.

P.S. I am a person that will only buy used automobiles and with the price of bicycles I will pretty much only buy used there too.

:)
Indeed, the price of bikes is completely outrageous today.
Not that I think that building from scratch is going to be a huge cost savings from new and will definitely be more expensive then buying used, but it has the advantage of getting something closer to what a person wants.
Or at least that's my gross rationalization. :)

Indeed, the price of bikes is completely outrageous today.
Not that I think that building from scratch is going to be a huge cost savings from new and will definitely be more expensive then buying used, but it has the advantage of getting something closer to what a person wants.
Or at least that's my gross rationalization. :)

That makes perfect sense... I just have no idea of what I want! LOL! I ride a Mtn Bike for excersize but I would really like to shift the weight off of my wrists. I research everything quite extensively before I buy but recumbents just lead to confusion for me. The bent forum has nice helpful people but every one has a different opinion... and most opinions lead to many thousands of dollars.

Good luck with your build! I hope you will do a build thread here?

I also ride a mountain bike, an early 2000's Rocky Mountain Stratos hardtail.
If I end up building one I'll definitely start a thread :)
Edit: I also picked up a 1996 Gary Fisher Wahoo to convert to a gravel'ish bike for winter commuting as it's rigid so will take fenders.

Last edited:
Back