Anyone familiar with Enco milling machines?

The manual lever won't move at all. I can rotate the hand wheel, but the lever will not budge.

Once the quill feed is disengaged, the quill is moved by the manual lever on the right using a simple rack and pinion, just like a drill press. Not a heck of a lot to go wrong in that system. I have seen the quill lock ''shoes'' get stuck. Loosening the quill lock and tapping on the end of the lock might break them loose, or unscrew the quill lock and remove the shoes and clean up. If the quill power feed is disengaged and the lock is released, then the only real possibility is that the quill is stuck in the bore, this is normally due to lack of lubrication and can be fixed by cleaning and oiling. The quill feed can be positively disengaged by removing the cap on the left side of the head, don't lose the springs in there.

If the price is right, this would not be a show stopper for me, but a great negotiating point.

Makes sense to suspect the quill lock, how difficult is it to get to the portion that actually locks the quill?

Makes sense to suspect the quill lock, how difficult is it to get to the portion that actually locks the quill?
Not difficult at all. Just unscrew the locking handle, it's threaded into the rear shoe, the front shoe just has a hole through it.

Just looking at your second picture... the knob in the center determines the feed rate... it appears to be between feeds... if the marks are not lined up, it will not feed at all... 'neutral', sort of.

Try and see if that will get it moving...

-Bear

I can understand it affecting the feed, but would it actually lock up the quill?

I can understand it affecting the feed, but would it actually lock up the quill?

Only if the dogs on the left side are engaged.

The dogs are behind the cover circled in red. They engage the quill pinion shaft with a spring load, the other end of the shaft is is connected to the manual handle on the other side. Once that cover is removed the dogs will disengage if they are engaged. The springs push against the cover.

The quill lock is simple to get to. Just remove the screw securing the handle, pull the handle off, and unscrew the bolt. The front shoe comes out the front, and the rear shoe goes out the back.

Back