Anyone got any tips for cooling down the garage?

I’ve done HVAC since I was 14 years old I’m 42 now put in a ductless unit or MINI SPLIT as people call them and get a good one Mitsubishi you won’t be disappointed I’ve put hundreds of them in over the years they have the best warranty and we never have any problems out of them as long as there installed correctly depending on the size of the area that dictates the size unit and you can set them and forget it and just let them run they are super efficient and just work
Just my two cents
Darryl

My garage is like an oven. That's not an exaggeration. You can't stand in there without dripping sweat. It's got to be over a hundred degrees, and 80 percent humidity. Additionally, running a window unit is going to cause flash rust anytime I open the big door, which is at least once a week. So...what to do? Ceiling fans? Knock out a wall? Attic fans? There has to be a reasonable solution.
Split unit. I had one installed in my 2 car attached garage/shop last year and I am SO pleased with it. Wish I had done it years before. I can spend all day in the garage now any time of the year in perfect comfort. Mine is a Mitsubishi.

As a rule, I am opposed to AirCon in any form. So long working in foundries and steel mills, I suppose. Keep the upper level well ventilated, including the attic. And a fan blowing on you at floor level works for me. And work slower, that's the key. Take your time, don't hurry. It hit 96F today, RH is unknown but it's clouding up and fixing to rain. I don't have AirCon in the residence, but barely broke a sweat. Just fans in appropriate places, a high ceiling, and working slower was all I needed.

As a rule, I am opposed to AirCon in any form. So long working in foundries and steel mills, I suppose. Keep the upper level well ventilated, including the attic. And a fan blowing on you at floor level works for me. And work slower, that's the key. Take your time, don't hurry. It hit 96F today, RH is unknown but it's clouding up and fixing to rain. I don't have AirCon in the residence, but barely broke a sweat. Just fans in appropriate places, a high ceiling, and working slower was all I needed.

Man... I sweat like a pig... in my case, a fan is not enough... I was planning on having a/c in the small workshop that I want to build next year...

The heat-pump water heater helps bring the temperature in the garage 5-10 degrees, but that is not enough to keep me from sweating if I am doing something in there... And I hate when sweat gets on the mill table. It starts rusting right away if I do not clean it quickly... and I keep everything oiled!

Last edited:
As a rule, I'm liable to not leave an air conditioned building unless it's to enter an air conditioned car on the way to my air conditioned living room. Call me soft, but most of every day is given away or sold to the highest bidder. I wear what they tell me, do what they tell me, sleep and eat in accordance with the worlds needs. I'll have my AC thank you very much. Lol
I HAVE tried a few times to slowly acclimate myself to 80-85 degree indoors, but after a couple of sleepless nights the AC is pumping again.
I wanted to avoid it in the shop, because I fear condensation and flash rust. But if needs must...

I insulated my garage door (big difference), have 3 fans pointed at me (one floor, 2 ceiling) and wear as few clothes as possible. My garage is usually ~90F in the summer and it's pretty bearable. Downside are chips getting stuck in my chest hair..

The combination of a ridge vent and soffit vents does a nice job of keeping my shed from getting too hot in the summer. I imagine they would work well on a garage too - provided that the garage can accommodate them. The ridge and soffit vents work as a system - without the other, neither works well.

Back