Anyone had any experience with this?

Comes with Windows XP??? That must be a bootleg as it is not for sale from Microsoft.
It says that Mach 3 is freeware. This is very misleading. I will work for free in a Demo Mode with some significant restrictions. It might work for you but don't count on it. If they are misleading or just plain wrong on two things, what else?
It looks cool though and if you are OK with everything else, then you could just factor in the cost of a computer with Windows and a Mach3 licence. BTW, they probably are using Windows XP because it will support a physical parallel port. I would expect any NEW CNC system to use a virtual parallel port and connect over ethernet or similar.

It looks like $7000 worth of disappointment.

For that price you're in range of a used Haas or Fadal VMC.

Check with @JimDawson for good info on fitting new controllers to older CNC systems. If you have your heart set on new, Tormach has a good reputation in hobbyist circles.

Yes, more than twice as much but a known good product with support.

If the budget is tight several companies make conversion kits for small mills like the PM25

and many forum members have gone this route with good success.

There are also good deals to be had on older Bridgeport CNC machines which can be upgraded to modern controls relatively economically. Same is true for lathes, or just add a 4th axis to the mill....

I did look at this company a while back and honestly their offering seems like an expensive 3 in 1 machine with some dubious CNC capabilities.

JMHO, I don't have any personal experience with them but I think you can do much better for your money.

John

$7000!?
I paid $6000 (CAD - which is near free in USD) for a 1991, 4 axis VMC, 1000mm travel, 22 tool changer, flood coolant, chip conveyor, full enclosure, and 40 assorted spindle tools. Granted it is running DOS on the human interface computer (no big deal). There were a number of minor things to fix (about $500). The larger cost was a new phase converter.

When I was first looking for a CNC machine, there was one of those available locally - the guy had it fixed up and claimed it ran well (he was selling it as too small for his needs). I'm really glad I did not go for it - the 20+ year old industrial machine is absolutely awesome.

My suggestion, is if you know that it will be exactly what you want, then buy it. If you have any doubts then leave it, for that money you can get a much more capable machine.

An interesting piece of equipment. It's been my experience that the inexpensive combo machines don't do anything well. The Emco Maximat, made in Austria, might be the exception, but not inexpensive, and not CNC.

Mach3 is obsolete, and the demo (free) version only allows you to run 250 lines of G code. WinXP is OK, but as said above is not a licensed copy. They most likely picked up an old enterprise install disk somewhere, allows an install without a key.

Personally I would be looking for a deal on some used equipment, the largest machines (within reason) you can stuff into the space available. With a couple exceptions, all of the major equipment in my shop was purchased used.

I would agree that combination machines tend to not do anything well. Jack of all trades, master of none. For about that much more money, you might be able to get decent used equipment and convert to CNC. I know because I've done it. One thing that it may do well is conserve floor space, one machine instead of two. That said, I can't tell how many times I have had parts machining on my mill and my lathe at the same time.

Richard

The next red flag is that I looked up the address, It is a residential house in an expensive residential neighborhood, With a homeowners association. Definitely no heavy manufacturing or stocking of parts or supplies going on there. So where do you have to go when you do need parts?
I would call them and find out more info, See if they can answer questions about how the machine is made, where it is made, in general see if they know anything about machining or if they are just a USA address for a Chinese retailer to be able to look like they have a USA presence.

At the auction in Gastonia last week, the Matsuura's and Kiwa machining centers went for $7K and under with the exception of the newer Kiwa one.
-=- LINK -=-
$7,000.00 #141
$5,000.00 #142
$5,750.00 #143
$6,500.00 #144
$4,000.00 #145
$145,000.00 #146

Back