Anyone have a step file for the RPI4B?

WobblyHand

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Saw one on grabcad, but they wanted me to keep on giving them a lot more information than I was comfortable with. RPI has a step file for the RPI5, but not the 4. The locations of the camera connectors are different, as well as where the main CPU. RPI5B step file can be downloaded from https://datasheets.raspberrypi.com/rpi5/RaspberryPi5-step.zip

If you do have the step file for an RPI4B, can you post it here? Zip it first to compress it. Thanks, I'd appreciate it.

I have one, I’ll try to remember to upload it tomorrow morning when I’m back out in the shop. Not as detailed as the RPI5 one released by them.

Uploaded to the "downloads" section.

I couldn't find the original copy so I created a step file from the Freecad design which I had imported it into.
Thanks for that! Good to have the camera connector location. I was off on my first print by a few mm (in X & Y) which was annoying. Kind of hard to measure stuff carefully while the unit was running.

Hmm, I wanted this so I could get an idea where to better place a fan, but there's no chip outlines present. But, most of the basics are there. By any chance, could you share your FreeCAD model? I could then add the main IC's, so it would be easier to locate a fan. I'd repost the new model and step file in the downloads area.

By any chance, could you share your FreeCAD model?
I don't have a true FreeCad model. This is based on a step file I found online. By "design", I mean a multi-body model of a 3D printed case w/ some accessories, I used this step file for the connector and hole locations. I couldn't find the original step file that I used to import into Freecad, but it imports as a monolithic body(?) in FreeCad. I just exported that body.

Last edited:
No problem. I'll cobble something together with a spare RPI4B. Calipers on a running Pi is not good.

Speaking of Pi, today is Pi Day. 3/14.

No problem. I'll cobble something together with a spare RPI4B. Calipers on a running Pi is not good.

Speaking of Pi, today is Pi Day. 3/14.
:) While I have my own opinions of Musk's eccentricities, I did watch the launch of the 3rd Starship test flight this morning on Pi day.

Printed a couple of these back in December for several PI's that I have. Not as elegant as yours but keeps the SSD with the RPI and reduces the risk of something shorting across it on my messy electronics bench.
IMG_5352.JPG

I haven't graduated to covered boxes yet :)

Did do simple fixture for my RPI5 before I got the NVMe board for it. Used this design as the basis for the RPI4 case. Since the RPI5 is booting from NVMe, there's no longer need for the disk below. I'll pull it and use it for something else.
PXL_20240314_181127145.jpgPXL_20240314_181143936.jpgPXL_20240314_181203079.jpg
The Pimoroni NVMe board is about $15. Takes a while to ship from the UK, but I think the board is worth it. Makes the RPI5 pretty snappy (for a Pi). I had a spare 1TB NVMe 2280 stick and put it in. Works well, although I had issues overclocking. So I'm running at "normal" speeds. It mounts on the bottom, so it is out of the way. Ribbon cable is a bit fiddly, but once it is in, it works fine. I do recommend the active cooler, it is only $5 and the fan is PWM controlled according to temperature, it is off most of the time. The only issue I have with RPI5 is it uses Bookworm, and there's a lot of changes - some of which breaks my use case. It uses Wayland, not X11 and a lot of things break because of that. I can't ssh -Y in and remotely launch an X session on my computer. (Not to mention, a Mac doesn't do X11 any more.) So I can either use the CLI, or VNC into the platform. RealVNC doesn't work on Bookworm(Wayland), so one has to use TigerVNC. That works, but is awkward, at least in the beginning. But the RPI5 is a bit faster than the RPI4. However, some of the software support is lagging for RPI5, at least for what I want to do.

I’m fascinated by the raspberry pi’s
I have 3 , a pi3, a pi4, and a pi zero w.
I have not done much of anything with them other than set up a pihole for network add blocking. The pi4 i use as a desktop with a monitor, mouse, and a keyboard-so i don’t have to go all the way upstairs to use a computer.

I’m learning a bunch from your posts, thanks for sharing the subject!

I’m fascinated by the raspberry pi’s
I have 3 , a pi3, a pi4, and a pi zero w.
I have not done much of anything with them other than set up a pihole for network add blocking. The pi4 i use as a desktop with a monitor, mouse, and a keyboard-so i don’t have to go all the way upstairs to use a computer.

I’m learning a bunch from your posts, thanks for sharing the subject!
I use an RPI3B+ for pihole as well.

Have a RPI4 with SSD in the shop with monitor, mouse and keyboard. Use it for internet stuff while in the shop as well as to program my ELS. (Arduino/Teensy) Using another RPI4 as a file server, and yet another to run OctoPi for my 3D printer.

My sprinkler system is controlled by an RPI2 using OpenSprinkler. Currently have 12 zones and can easily extend the number of zones by adding a module (in increments of 8) or three. It's a way nicer than the old horrible sprinkler controller systems of 5-10 years ago. I use an app on my phone to control it, or test sprinkler heads in the spring. Most of the time it just runs without intervention.

Finally have an RPI2 being used as a print server. Have an old laser printer hooked up to it. (Old enough that it had no networking ability.) Run CUPS on it. That way any computer or phone on the network can print. (Or at least used to be able to print!)

The Pi's can be quite frustrating at times, but generally have been quite useful for various tasks. Still trying to figure out a good use for the RPI5. Wayland is quite different, and I have to find a good way to accommodate it.

Back