Anyone have a step file for the RPI4B?

Yeah, being an old X11 user I'm struggling with the X vs Wayland issues, although I do a lot via terminal/CLI so somewhat mute. I turned to the Remina package to get a consistent solution.

I have an active cooler for the PI 5's, looks like the same RPI one you are using. I'm using that as my embedded development platform. An NVME solution would be ideal but they seemed pretty sparse last December when I was configuring, been using some Samsung USB SSD drives I have. I have a second RPI5 setup with pihole, and wireshark with a port mirror on my internet router link.

Any thoughts on PI-based security camera software? I have several IP/POE cameras homing to a NAS right now, for various reasons I'd like to run an independent backend.

Last edited:
Yeah, being an old X11 user I'm struggling with the X vs Wayland issues, although I do a lot via terminal/CLI so somewhat mute. I turned to the Remina package to get a consistent solution. I have an active cooler for the PI 5's, looks like the same RPI one you are using. An NVME solution would be ideal but they seemed pretty sparse last December when I was configuring, been using some Samsung USB SSD drives I have.

Any thoughts on PI-based security camera software?
I need to check with Remina, it's been a while since I last touched that. X11 used to be good enough for most of my stuff, with the exception of high resolution CAD.

Haven't played with security camera software. It's on the list. I've gone through a few PTZ security cams and they all stink. Either the software is buggy or impossible to set up (on my computers), or they stopped allowing local storage in favor of their off shored cloud services. Umm, no thanks, this is my footage, and I see no need for others to be able to view it. I'd like to find some decent open source cameras with local NAS storage - that I could stream securely.

The Pimoroni NVMe solution is pretty good. It's inexpensive as well. Only thing that is missing is a disk activity light. Don't get a dual NVMe board - it seems one can't boot from it, at least none of the one's that are out now. This single NVMe board is bootable. There's about close to a half dozen options for NVMe now. I like that this board mounts underneath and doesn't block airflow or cooling.

The active cooler is sold by RPI for a whopping $5, which isn't bad at all.

Back