Anyone have a Torque-Rite power drawbar from PM?

The drawbar should not be spinning the Torque-Rite when the spindle is all the way up. I ended my making a new spacer like Mark did.

I actually built one from scratch and they're an interesting design challenge; maybe I should do a separate thread. The only problem I had is the engagement of the socket to the stock PM drawbar even though I used a "speed socket" design.

After messing with it, I found out it wasn't the torque rite. When I'm in high gear, it's a bit noisier up there. I don't hear it on low gear. Almost like a rattling noise.

If you find that the head rattling noise isn't at the lower speeds and seems to increase above 2000 RPM, it is often the top of the drawbar hitting against the side. This maybe because when it pulls down it may be off center or the mass at the top causes it to slightly oscillate and hit the side. I have machined several different spacers for the drawbar with a larger diameter and also a small nose that centers the drawbar when tightened. Most recently I machined a bronze cup type spacer with an ID of 7/8" OD 1" that fits over the rod head from the bottom and also use some high viscosity grease that will not flow or run. Rattling noise was significantly diminished. It is a bit finicky to get it all setup correctly, also that the top drawbar shoulder is the specified 0.050" below the mounting surface for the Torque-Rite.

I always need to have the quill up and locked when ejecting the R8 arbor/collet, probably because my return spring is not set very high and there is very low friction. Another thing to note is that when you switch out of back gear make sure you turn the spindle a bit by hand until the back gear lever snaps into high gear position otherwise you can damage the engagement spline gear hub on powering it up.

Back