Anyone Have Access to a Laser or Water Jet?

Weldo

Registered
Registered
Hey all. I'm seeking to possibly have a simple part or two made by laser or water jet cutting. If anyone has access to this equipment shoot me a PM and we'll see what happens. I'm gonna continue to search out other avenues in the mean time.

I'd post up a PDF of the part if the damn website would allow me to. There's some kind of security BS goin on right now.

The parts are simple, one is a simple strip, About 0.554" x 15" long. The other part is basically an ellipse, 3.25" x 6" with a 3-1/8" hole in one end and a 1/2" hole in the other end.

The material would be plain 1/8" steel.

Thanks for looking!

I have a plasma table I have access too. Cuts accurate but unlike laser or water jet their is post cleanup of parts.

Now that the site is back up and running I can post a pic.

Atlas 7B Shaper - S7-25D - Pendant Gear Housing.png

There's a strip of material around the left side there that's only about 1/8". Do you think plasma could cut that without it melting away? I don't have much experience with plasma.

Plasma, waterjet, laser, or CNC mill would make that part. The easiest might be a laser or plasma. Yes, a plasma would cut that without issues.

Now that the site is back up and running I can post a pic.

View attachment 329486

There's a strip of material around the left side there that's only about 1/8". Do you think plasma could cut that without it melting away? I don't have much experience with plasma.
Nice drawing, but FYI, you probably do not plan to laser or plasma cut to 4 decimal places accuracy. It is a good idea to take the time to learn the protocol of how many digits you show in a part drawing. Not getting down on you, it is a very common error when making drawings.

Oh yea, I know. Seems like laser can be +- a few thousandths. That's just how my CAD program was set up. All the numbers are common fraction, so by default 1-7/16" goes out to 4 places. That's the reason I set the defaults to 4 places, to cover common fractions.

The top number, 2.4804, I just put in there to sanity check myself if I lay it out by hand. It's the length of the line that is tangent to both circles. If I get the center to center correct then the tangent line should be a set length that can't change, but if I lay it out by hand I can set a caliper to that number just to double check that the tangent lines are close.

Last edited:
Make sure you get a quote from https://sendcutsend.com/

Thanks man! I'll check it out!

I found this one last night...

They wanted about $70 for four parts cut from 1/8" mild steel. Not including shipping. $70 is a little more than I wanted to pay but I'm glad services like this are out there. For $70 plus shipping I'll probably cut it out by hand or use the lathe since it's a pretty simple shape.

Back