Anyone Have Experience Connecting a MPG to LinuxCNC?

Change you boot order in BIOS

I have a Q1900B-ITX motherboard. I was able to get into the BIOS and look at the boot menu. The only boot option listed is the SSD. I don't even see an option to boot from the USB.

[ 8.12345678] CPU1: Not responding.
[16.12345678] CPU2: Not responding.
Oh, my. No, I'm sorry I have no idea. I was thinking one of two things, maybe it's recognizing the MPG as a USB drive and trying to boot from it, or it's failing to recognize the driver during boot. But this is something else.

I have a Q1900B-ITX motherboard. I was able to get into the BIOS and look at the boot menu. The only boot option listed is the SSD. I don't even see an option to boot from the USB.
How do you install your OS?

IIRC, the OS was installed via USB stick to SSD.

So, I'm seeing the ASUS BIOS screen flash on for a second, then I see the GRUB screen come on. After that, I get the "CPU Not responding" message. So, I'm thinking it's not a boot issue. The PC seems to be partially booting until the dreaded "CPU Not responding" message.

I'm at a lost for ideas and vistaCNC doesn't seem interested in helping me resolve this, unfortunately. They've ignored my email.

It's not the end of the world to plug in the USB cable after boot, but it's not very efficient either.

Any ideas?

I'm not much of a UNIX person but I see that GRUB is a boot loader application (GRand Unified Bootloader) I have never used it and know nothing about it but it seems like there is still a real possibility that at some point your system is trying to boot from the USB device, which in this case is the VISTA pendent. It still might be worth checking the ASIS BIOS to ensure that the boot from USB is either disabled or at least lower priority than the hard drive. Also look into how GRUB is configured to see if it has an option to use a USB boot and at least temporarily disable it.

Yeah, I checked with the BIOS and the only thing listed as a boot source is the SSD.

You might be correct in thinking GRUB might be trying to boot from the USB. I'll look at that.

I'm thinking it's not a boot issue. The PC seems to be partially booting until the dreaded "CPU Not responding" message.

I'm at a lost for ideas and vistaCNC doesn't seem interested in helping me resolve this, unfortunately. They've ignored my email.
I don't really blame them. I mean, they should respond at least to say "sorry, bud. I don't know." Maybe offer a refund if you send it back. But the way that drivers work in Linux, the way that LinuxCNC works in Linux, the way that Linux works period, is just not very intuitive or consistent across different machines. Hence:
The one I got is all "discrete" signals. No USB, no bluetooth. It has an open collector encoder output and all the switches and buttons are dry contact. This gives me the most flexibility. Loading drivers in Linux isn't so straightforward. Nothing about LinuxCNC is straightforward. I do not want to fight that fight.

If you're ok with plugging in the USB MPG after boot then I'd just live with it. If not, you'll probably invest dozens of hours into figuring this out yourself or make some kind of drastic change (different PC, different USB MPG, Different shop lighting, only run on Wednesdays, etc.) there might be 10 people in the world who would know exactly what's going and how to fix it; apparently none of them are on this forum and none of them work at VistaCNC. If they're on any forums they would probably be on cnczone.

Is this a Ukrainian machine?​

Anyone Have Experience Connecting a RPG to LinuxCNC?​

I got a response from VistaCNC. They told me to try a USB hub between the pendant and the PC. Went to Staples to get one and tried it. No luck. Still have the same issue when booting.

Back