Anyone have one of the Multifix type tool posts from Ailexpress?

RaisedByWolves

Mangler of grammar, off my meds.
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Im looking to outfit a new (To me) lathe and was (Am) very please with the Aloris wedge style tool post I got from BG. At the time I purchased this set I had seen and liked the design of the Multifix system, but they were double the cost and kinda felt I was going out on a limb as it were ($125 for the Aloris wedge style) and didn't want to get hosed too hard is what I received was junk.

Now that I'm outfitting another similar size lathe I'm seeing the Multifix on Ali E for less than what I paid for my last set to 3x as much for the same size unit and I'm confused/cautious all over again.

So does anyone have experience with one of these? Om looking at the OXA size or equivelent?

Im looking at this one, but they say it takes proprietart tool holders and Im not sure if this is a good or bad thing.

Spare tool holder.

Mine is not from Ali E, but it is an offshore brand. I believe maybe from Create Tool Holder Expert in China. I have the D style, that takes up to 1-1/2" tools and 1-3/4" boring bars. I bought it used.
I really like it for getting the tool to meet the work at the right angle, Chamfering is a breeze. Getting a tool at perfect height is easy and repeatable.
I think my old 4- way tool post was more rigid.
I just turned some 20" diameter X 5" wide cast iron flat belt pulleys, and I was able to reach the headstock side with a large boring bar to true up the side. These were turned down to 1-3/4" wide for a band sawmill.
Martin W20231125_084628.jpeg

I look this type back 1970's.
They great and ones use like post.
Back 1970's I went with a lower cost Aloris AXA tool post still have it.
I still like the Multifix today.

Dave

Mine is not from Ali E, but it is an offshore brand. I believe maybe from Create Tool Holder Expert in China. I have the D style, that takes up to 1-1/2" tools and 1-3/4" boring bars. I bought it used.
I really like it for getting the tool to meet the work at the right angle, Chamfering is a breeze. Getting a tool at perfect height is easy and repeatable.
I think my old 4- way tool post was more rigid.
I just turned some 20" diameter X 5" wide cast iron flat belt pulleys, and I was able to reach the headstock side with a large boring bar to true up the side. These were turned down to 1-3/4" wide for a band sawmill.
Martin WView attachment 469960

Yeah, a short stout 4way will always be more rigid.

Am aloris style has the advantage over the M-Fix that when you turn it the corners of the post support it in the direction of the cutting forces, where as the M-fix is round and undercut on the bottom.

I'm thinking maybe I could cut the bottom so the whole ribbed cross section sits flat on the compound, but I would have to have it in my hand to be sure.

Im used to the piston style we have at work where the tool holder is realistically only held by 2.5 points of contact, so the wedge style was a big improvement with 3, and the M-fix looks to have as much or even more contact with the tool post than the wedge.

With a multifix, you really want to make a T not that is milled or ground to the height of the compound and locked in with a set screw. I also substitute a thrust bearing for the washer on the bolt. Those two items lock the Multifix down with enough torque to eliminate the need for a pin. If a spacer is needed, it should lock into the T slot as in the picture.

As to the quality of the Ailexpress, I'm doubtful of anuthing cheaper than the Create of Pewe versions. The quality of the machining so the mating contact area of the holder and post is consistent as well as the interchangeability make it hard to believe it is a system made for cheap manufacturing.

Dave

Attachments

• DSCN4473.JPG
    DSCN4473.JPG
    237.7 KB · Views: 16
  • DSCN4477.JPG
    DSCN4477.JPG
    238.7 KB · Views: 17
Back