Anyone have suggestions for a DRO for a Bridgeport clone?

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
Guys,

This question was asked on another forum, and received the advice "do a search on the forum". I was wondering if we could answer this question for the person on here:

"I am in the market for 3-axis DRO for my mill (Bridgeport clone) and I was wondering what is good now days. I have had good success with Shooting Star in the past, but that was 10 years ago. Who is making good DRO's now days for the hobbyist?"

Thanks very much,

Nelson

Nelson

Have a look a Sino DRO
These are glass scales, I dont think you need to worry about cutting scales down, provided you order the proper lengh in the first place.

They are available with 3 different scale types thickness wise.
Sino kit I bought suppyed everthing needed for the install, with some hardware left over. No need to run out looking for hard to get fasteners.

The main complaint many people had in the past was the manual was not very good. Well, that has changed. All the complaints I read about on other sites did not exist with my manual. Any and all set up steps , I just walked right through without any problems at all.

Functions, the same as my Newal DRO. I found this offshore Sino DRO some what easyer to use compared to my Newal C-80. I paid through my butt for the Newal 5 or 6 yrs back, and had a good look around at the offerings before buying a second DRO. The price did have much to do with my decision, but I allso wanted all the features of the Newal.

As mentioned, forget about cutting scales, just order the proper lengh. The Sino scales also offer 3- type of scale covers, That IMO out due anything Newal has to offer. So I wouldnt worry much about the scales being protected.

For the money and features, it was Sino this time around. Will it give me the hick-up free service the Newal has? Time will tell. I think DRO Pro,s carry them, as well as many others. I have heard from many people that DRO pro is more money then other venders because of heavy advertising and the video,s they have produced. I did buy mine cheaper than them else where.

Lots of good DROs out there, some have better warrenty than others, roll the dice, take your chances.

Paul 8)

Hey Nelson,

I guess I should have read the new postings before I posted tonight. Thanks for re-posting my post. The other forums haven't responded as well as I had hoped. I can't afford the primo units and I have tried the extra low priced caliper type DRO's; which except the Igauging units have worked reasonably well, but are pretty basic. So now I'd like to step up to a mid-priced DRO with as many features as possible.
These are the units that seldom get talked about and I would thing would be better targeted to the hobbyist. So who is familiar with some of these units or has any knowledge or experience with them?

Thanks
Randy

Back