Anyone here made a D1-4 Spindle nose?

Please document your progress here or in a new thread for people like me who are faced with this question in the future.

Cheers, Joe

I’m working on a thread on D1-4 for my clausing. The problem with making a complete replacement spindle is the bore. I would need to farm that out. So what I desided to do is thread it to fit my 1 1/2”-8 thread then tig it on permently. Then skim true it to the lathe for minimum runout.
First you need to get copy of the ISO 702-2 spec for details of the D1 spindle dimensions. My lathe is a 12x36 so I figured the D1-4 was a better fit. I’m making my adapter from 1045 cheaper than a big chunk of 4140 so if I screw the pooch on this it won’t cost an arm and a leg.
CH
It looks like the D1-4 spindle on my new lathe was made that way ie. D1-4 nose welded to the spindle.
It makes little sense for a factory to cut so much steel to make a single piece D1-4 spindle. It is perfectly feasible for a factory to churn out D1-4 noses and lathe spindles separately then weld them together prior to finish turning.

yes, please allow us to follow your project along with you.
Is there any merit to using fasteners somehow instead of TIG welding if only to have the option of removing the D1-4 nose someday for some reason?

Last edited:
I also have a D1-4 spindle and I had the same thought when I took it out for cleaning; no way they turned that from a solid chunk. It ought to be 2 welded pieces.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Back