Anyone into trains??

Tamper84

Active User
Registered
Well I was researching some stuff for class, and I happen to learn about live steam rail roads. Been to Mill Creek Central in Coshocton Ohio twice now lol. Does any one here build them? If so, what sizes of machines would you all recommend?

Thanks,
Chris

I'm a Machinist at the Cass Scenic Railroad, and reserve Fireman and have my student Engineers (Steam) license...

Std gauge, 70 to 162 tons, but I get the feeling you might be asking about something smaller??

2j5m87p.jpg

Our little 70 tonner, 1922 #4

2j5m87p.jpg

Otis: A couple of years ago I stopped at Cass and went for a train ride. Missed being able to see the shop next, time I'll show up earlier. I had a great time and will stop again when I'm in the area. Got two questions: 1-can't remember the manufacturer of the steam engines. and 2- what was the cost of an engine when they were built (asked when I was there nobody knew) Thanks. Roger

Wow Otis!!!! That's a cool job there, do you guys need an apprentice? And I was talking about 7.5" gauge locomotives. They are about 1.6 scale. The real things are awesome as well!! The cass railroad, is that around Morgantown? I'm about an 1.5 hours from Morgantown. Oh if you wanna see the railroad I was at www.millcreekcentral.com

Thanks,
Chris

my wife's father was into the 1.6 scale trains, we have about 1000 feet of track around the house.
unfortunately it needs quite a bit of maintenance to run the engines around again.

mike

The CSRR is in Pocahontas Co. WV, a few miles from Snowshoe Ski resort and the Greenbank NRAO. It's about a 2.5 hour drive from here to Morgantown.
http://www.cassrailroad.com/

We have 6 Steam locomotives, 5 Shays built by the Lima Locomotive Works in Lima OH, and one Heisler (90 ton, 1929) built by the Heisler Locomotive Works in Erie Pa.

I'v never found out what the original price of a Shay new from the factory was, but they weren't cheap I'm sure.

A couple of short videos I took last winter in our shop.

[video=youtube_share;DFlMyZih_r0]http://youtu.be/DFlMyZih_r0[/video]

[video=youtube_share;LbMPlwR7kig]http://youtu.be/LbMPlwR7kig[/video]

Wow cool videos Otis!!! Could you tell us more about your shop there? And do you need any apprentices??? :jester:

Thanks,
Chris

P.S. Btw, you have a new subscriber!

The wife and I are members of the Train Collectors A. (TCA). There are quite a few hobbyists that make scale life steam locos. We love to ride the old steam trains.
Joe

Wow cool videos Otis!!! Could you tell us more about your shop there? And do you need any apprentices??? :jester:

Thanks,
Chris

P.S. Btw, you have a new subscriber!

There will be a few openings soon, Fireman and Conductor.

First Lesson: Why can't you electrocute an Engineer?
Because they're not a conductor!!

Thanks, I'll bee here all week, don't forget to tip your waitress!!

:whiteflag:

But anywho, most of our equipment is WWII era stuff, our oldest lathe is a J J McCabe 2 in 1 lathe, (24/48") made some time in the late teens to mid twenties, our newest is a little South Bend.
Our biggest is our wheel lathe, a 96" Niles-Bement-Pond..
nbp01.jpg
2646gsn.jpg

nbp01.jpg

2646gsn.jpg

Wow cool machines and cool shop!!!!! Love the pictures!!!

Thanks,
Chris

Back