Anyone know a good procedure to test a glass slide?

I remember hearing once, dont remember who said it, but at manufacturing electronics parts at scale cost savings is about getting rid of fasteners.
I remember watching special on the Ford Mustang once, they interviewed a lead engineer and he talked about 3 small screws they figured out how to eliminate which cost almost 2 bucks a car to acquire and install. I remember the interviewer smirked at the guy and said something akin to "big deal, 2 buck on a 30,000 dollar car" and the Engineer said "its $2.00 X 100,000 units."

So, funny enough, fasteners are the bane of my existence. For example, the female DB-9 connector costs me $50, and the two little jack screws that go on it cost $0.76 each, and I have to buy them in 5,000 piece increments. The little black "Plastite" scews cost $0.36 each, and I have to buy them in 10,000 piece increments. The line for the 8 jack screws is second the most expensive thing on my BOM right now (the DB-9 cables cost more than the rest of the parts combined, but this is because of the manual assembly).

Back