Anyone own an iGaging quick-lever micrometer?

Pcmaker

Registered
Registered
I don't have a micrometer, this will be my first one. I ordered it today and won't be getting until after Christmas. I also ordered the iGaging Absolute Origin 6" caliper.

I was torn on whether to get this or just a regular iGaging digital micrometer or even save up for a Mitutoyo. I've never used a micrometer before, but from what videos I've seen, it looks like such a pain in the butt to turn the handle a million times to get to where you need to be.

Should I have just gotten a regular digital micrometer?

Outside micrometers are the easiest most accurate tools that you will ever use, if turning the spindle is to slow there are other options but you will not like the cost however.

I haven't used that one. I have a number of mics now and while it seems like it might be annoying to spin it in/out, in practice it's not a big deal and you generally only have to do it once per feature. After that you are usually testing as you take off 0.1" or less, so there isn't a ton of movement needed. The better ones are so smooth it goes faster than you would think.

Get a decent brand unit in good shape from eBay or similar. Most of mine have been about $20 for the old style mechanical units.

If you want digital, I've been surprised by the one HF sells. It's a 0-1" and testing the same part against a tenths mic it's quite accurate. I don't trust it for tenths, but for 1 thou level measurements it works well. Shars seems to be selling the same one and various sizes.

That’s really is a neat tool and would be tempting for measuring a lot of hand held items of varying sizes like the guy in the video. But without a spindle lock, it loses a lot of appeal for making more awkward measurements like some work pieces in progress on the lathe or mill.

And if it takes the guy in the video a minute to go from closed to full open with a regular 0-1” mic, he’s going about it the wrong way. Just MHO. ymmv

Tom

I have the Igaging 2" and 3" quick lever Absolute micrometers, and the Mitutoyo 0-1" Quantumike. Both work well, the Igaging work equally well, just take a little getting use too using the lever vs. a thimble. There are a few times where I would prefer a thimble/lock when you want to find the peak on a rod or size a bunch of parts with a go/no go, and as mentioned measuring in difficult places. They are all spot on using calibrated standards, the Igaging in essence sets the pressure to be uniform when the lever is released, the Mitutoyo has a thimble clutch. The Quantumike is fast to adjust.

Do not use either that much, one reason why I felt the Igaging in the larger sizes was more cost effective for the amount of use they get, but having the larger sizes is great. If cost was no object then the Mitutoyo Quantumike. If you were just getting one, then probably the Mitutoyo 0-1" Quantumike will run you around $150 through Zoro with a 20% discount, I think I paid $140 for mine. The Igaging is around $100 for the 0-1". I did find that most of the time I needed a larger micrometer, and purchased the 2 and 3" Igaging ones for around $200 for the pair. Anything larger than 3" I would go with an older mechanical set.

Good Tool.
Well, as good as you are, when using it.
Use your Test Piece, to become used to "Getting Feel". You know what I mean, and it's not that.
Mark Needham

My opinion: You should have bought yourself a nice Starrett or Brown & Sharpe and learned how to read it.

You should have bought yourself a nice Starrett or Brown & Sharpe and learned how to read it

I have no issues with traditional analogue vs. digital, akin to using dials on your machine vs. DRO. I have used both, but for the most part I have switched to digital for things like calipers/micrometers because they are much easier to read and one is less likely to make a reading error. My eyesight gets worse every year, I am long past needing to put on my +4 reading glasses and squinting to read small lines on dials. I still use analogue test/dial indicators, I just have bigger dials now with the marks wider apart. When your reading 5 decimal places on a micrometer, I am much happier reading a digital display.

The Mitutoyo Quantumike has the old style feel of an analogue micrometer, is easy to read, and very comfortable to use. The Igaging's are durable and built to a price point, I have used them for years and they are very reliable. One could also buy an older used analogue Mitutoyo/Starrett micrometer and be just as happy.

My opinion: You should have bought yourself a nice Starrett or Brown & Sharpe and learned how to read it.

Correct, 10 (and 30,50,100) years from now you will still be able to use the same analog micrometers, while the digital ones will be rotting in the dust bin of history.

Back