Anyone recognize this lathe? see pics

oldgoaly

Active User
Registered
bed1.jpg
Thre is no name that I can find, bed, h/s and t/s are a tough aluminum casting not made in the 3rd world from scrap. Traded for it as a spinning lathe, did some searching, it does not look like a Pryibil, Boice/Crane or other spinning lathes.
headstock1.jpg
15" from base to c/l of spindle
headstock2.jpg
spindle thread 1.5" by 12 tpi, real close to the 1.5 by 8 tpi used by S/B and Atlas (yep that is what I thought it was)
I plan to use it as a spinning lathe, so who knows what make this is? anyone got a faceplate in their junk junk box for it?
tt:holdphone:

bed1.jpg headstock1.jpg headstock2.jpg

Last edited:
Terry
Is that the bed laying behind the HS and TS? Do you have the tool rest or motor drive cone pulley? Often they dont come with faceplates, but you just screw a form or mandrel directly to the spindle. Cant help much with the ID yet........

Cheers Phil

Phil
That is the bed next to the H/s and T/s no motor pulley, but I think I may have one here. This pic will give you an idea on why I think it's a face plate mount.
faceplateadapter1.jpg
I did a little cleaning of my thread gauge and the spindle thread is 1.5 by 12 tpi, I just happen to have a tap for that! plus many years ago I cast myself a 10" face plate for my Atlas in aluminum with a steel thread insert. once the insert was fitted then I trued the face plate on the lathe, so looks like I'll be making another. There is no tool holder/carriage, That I'll also need to fabricate. Did some cleaning up of the tools. Have you heard of Driver brand spinning tools? I spent most of the day making room for the lathe, did the math it need more clearance than what I have where I wanted to put it, wall cabinets in the way. So it will be a day or two to get it on it's legs so it looks like a lathe again. tt:holdphone:

faceplateadapter1.jpg

Finally got the bed on the legs, H/S and T/S on bed now it looks more like a lathe!

1setup1.jpg
spinldehieght1.jpg
topshot1.jpg

A little history on the lathe it came from the U of Mo. Columbia surplus sale, it is missing a few pcs. It is not a hobby lathe the company that made it know how to cast aluminum! In the process of making the missing pcs, sure could use to see what the originals looked like just to see how they did it. tt

1setup1.jpg spinldehieght1.jpg topshot1.jpg

Terry,
Often spinning lathes are more like wood lathes with a tool post that is set in position and bolted in place. No carriage. Depending on the work required it may be a horizontal rest or sometimes a 2 pronged fork to allow a levering action to be applied to the work piece. Not familiar with "Driver" brand. Could that be the name of the foundry, moreso than a brand name.

Cheers Phil

Hi Phil!
Driver logo is stamped into most of the tools, but it does not show up well in a pic. It seems Walker-Turner used Driver name for their line of tools. I'm going thru all of the different brands on lathes.co.uk now only time will tell if I find it or go crazy looking.....:nuts:

Well getting close to powering this thing up, I have a couple of new face plates that I will finish up on the lathe, will true up so nicely.
But the spindle brake/stop has e stumped any ideas on how this may work, I've tried to back the threads out with no luck. Still don't have a manufacturer for this, have stripped a couple of spots looking for a decal, just lots of layers of gray paint!
brakepin1.jpg

brakepin1.jpg

Back