Anyone Remember Potomac Arms aka Ye Old Hunter, Hunters Haven Gun Store?

Tmate

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
When I was a kid in the mid 50s I used to hang around this WWII surplus and gun store on the waterfront in Alexandria, Virginia. Of course I had almost no money, but the deals were fantastic at that time: Surplus Thompson SMGs with the breach welded for $75.00, Model 1917 Smiths and Colts for 17.50, Model 1911s for 25.00, M-1 Garands for $45. I used to lust after that stuff, and did buy maybe a half dozen handguns from them over the next decade or so.

The building occupied by the store started out in 1947 as "Beachcombers Restaurant" and was situated on pilings over the water of the Potomac River. This was desirable, since its off-shore status exempted it from rather stringent Virginia alcohol laws. In the early 50s the restaurant folded and the building was occupied by Interarmco, and set up shop as a retail store for new and surplus weapons. Interarmco sold the building in 2006, and today it houses a boat club. Note that the outdoor balcony still remains.

Attachments

• Beachcomers.jpg
    Beachcomers.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 50
  • Ye old Hunter before.jpg
    Ye old Hunter before.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 34
  • Ye Old Hunter Now.jpg
    Ye Old Hunter Now.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 49
Last edited:
I remember Ye Old Hunter. They had a yard you had to walk through fild with Jeep towed cannons . Amazing place. I found you because I just googled it to see if it was still there

I remember the adds. They did a lot of Mail Order guns when I was a kid. In 1968 the Gun Control act was passed and that shut alot of these down. I was 18 in 68. My uncles ordered alit of guns from them

I remember going up there right after getting my driver's license. I'm 59 now. They several german nebelwerffers sitting outside. Then went to the place that used to sell replica guns nearby. Don't remember their name.

Back