Anyone use Derbyshire collets?

T. J.

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
First, a story...

I bought some stuff in an online auction last week. One of the items was a boxed set of collets. On the auction site, there was only one picture and it wasn't very detailed or informative. But they looked like either 5c or R8 collets, so I bought them. Upon receiving them, it turns out I grossly misjudged the scale of the photo...

So, I am now the proud owner of a 40 piece set of Derbyshire Magnus-Elect collets in a nice wooden case. The sizes range from very tiny up to about 5/16". Since I can't use them, I'm going to sell them. If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll get you some more info and pics. Even if no one is interested, I would like any information you may have about these. All I know is what I read on the lathes.uk site.

I was going to post this on the Derbyshire forum, but it doesn't look like there's much activity there.

Here are some pics.

There are two size ranges: 3-1/2 to 50 tenths of a mm and fractional from 1/64" to 5/16" by 64ths. There is also one collet without clamping slits that looks to be made to accept a crotch center type device (shown in the last pic).

The diameter of the barrel is 10 mm. The threads are buttress threads of 1 mm pitch.

I couldn't get it to show up on a photo, but they are stamped "Derbyshire Magnus-Elect, Made in USA"

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

They have been sold.

First, a story...

I bought some stuff in an online auction last week. One of the items was a boxed set of collets. On the auction site, there was only one picture and it wasn't very detailed or informative. But they looked like either 5c or R8 collets, so I bought them. Upon receiving them, it turns out I grossly misjudged the scale of the photo...

So, I am now the proud owner of a 40 piece set of Derbyshire Magnus-Elect collets in a nice wooden case. The sizes range from very tiny up to about 5/16". Since I can't use them, I'm going to sell them. If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll get you some more info and pics. Even if no one is interested, I would like any information you may have about these. All I know is what I read on the lathes.uk site.

I was going to post this on the Derbyshire forum, but it doesn't look like there's much activity there.
Derbyshire is one of two places that still make top quality hardened collets. The other is Levin who also make collets. Derbyshire puts out a top quality product at about 1/3 of the price of Levin. I have used Derbyshire for years and am extremely happily. I own 2 Model 750s and 1 Model A. Douglass the owner has helped me out quite a few times in the past 30 years. He’s very easy to talk to and extremely knowledgeable. Most of what they make now are specialized cnc machines but will a lot of times try to help on older machines.

@ArizonaJohn ,

That's your first post........Welcome to the group!

It is great to hear of a North American manufacturer still providing such personal service.
I am glad you posted that positive review.

-brino

Last edited:
Back