AR15 223 Upper

Old Iron

Active User
Registered
'm getting ready to build a AR15 and there are so many complete uppers it is getting confusing.

Can you recommend a good one in 223 caliber in the $500.00 or 650.00 range.

Thanks
Paul

You need to decide what you really want to use it for. For home defense and plinking, a light weight 16" barrel is great. For varmint hunting, a heavy 24" would be my choice. I prefer a forward assist, some say it is not needed, but I have had to use it in my NM Armalite a time or two with full length sized new brass. Most of them anymore shoot as well as the next or close enough most will never be able to tell. How heavy of bullets do you want to be able to use. For up to 60 grain a 1-12 will work. A 1-9 twist will work up to the 75-77 grain bthp bullets, but not always with the 75 AMax. Any thing heavier needs a 1-7.5-1-8, unless you plan on the 90 grain bullets, which you will need a 1-6.5 . Are you confused yet? Most people would be fine with a light weight or mid weight 16" or 20" barrel in a 1-9 twist. Be honest with your self what you want to do. If you have any thoughts of ever wanting to use iron sights, I would get a flat top with an A2 front sight.

I think I'm going to go with the Viet Nam look I really like my M16 but the 60 Cal machine gun was a lot better.

I wished I would have gotten one in the 60s when they were legal and know stamp required. Hind site isn't worth much.

Paul

As long as you stay with one of the major manufacturer's you will get a good quality product. your price range is pretty much in the park for a top line complete upper. If you never heard of the manufacturer, steer clear. The only other thing to consider is whether you want a chrome-lined barrel or not. There has been numerous arguments on the matter of chrome-lined versus accuracy, but here's my take on that issue:

1: The chrome plating process does take place after the rifling is done, so there is a slight "rounding" to the sharp edges of the rifling and the thickness may not be exactly the same throughout so absolute perfection can't possibly occur. So in theory you could be loosing a tiny bit of accuracy, but the payoff is that there is much less fouling in the bore, far less likely to rust or start corrosion from "cheap" ammo in the bore, and it's easier to clean.

2: If the barrel is in fact perfect dimensionally and the rifling is perfect, an unlined bore should be razor sharp on the edges of the rifling and provide the best accuracy. In reality, most rifles are more capable than the shooter behind the trigger (except perhaps with sandbags and machine rests.)

3: The miniscule difference in theoretical accuracy is a cheap price to pay for the piece of mind and lower maintenance efforts of the chrome lined bore in my opinion. (All military M16's are chrome lined and have been since the M16-A1)

Just my .02

If you want a Vietnam era look, you want an A1 upper, which is a 20" pencil barrel. Try to get a 1-8 or 1-9 twist if you have any plans on shooting bulk fmj ammo. When a chrome lined barrel shoots good it does it in spite of the chrome lining. I have a Saber Defense 1

- - - Updated - - -

If you want a Vietnam era look, you want an A1 upper, which is a 20" pencil barrel. Try to get a 1-8 or 1-9 twist if you have any plans on shooting bulk fmj ammo. When a chrome lined barrel shoots good it does it in spite of the chrome lining. I have a Saber Defense 16" pencil barrel that will shoot under 1", chrome lined, so they can shoot.

Thanks for the reply Sharky gives me more to think about.

Paul

Back