Arboga Clone Motor Swap?

G-ManBart

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'll start off by saying that my current drill press is an embarrassment to my shop! I've got pretty nice machinery and this dinky little bench top drill press that I hate so I've been looking to replace it for some time and the right deal just hasn't come along at the right time. I was looking mostly at Clausing and Powermatic variable speed machines but saw an Arboga clone at an auction less than half an hour away from me that would be a big step up.

With my limited knowledge of drill presses, I'm pretty sure it's an Arboga E803 clone (give or take), definitely made in Taiwan and similar to many other clones that often have a model number S-24B or S24B. The problem is that it has a 3-phase, 2-speed motor wired 575V. I have three-phase 230V via an RPC in my shop right now. It would seem my options are either a motor swap or a step-up transformer from 230 to 575. I'm not sure if anybody makes a VFD that would go from single-phase 230V input to 3-phase 575V output, but if they do, it's probably expensive.

I'm guessing a motor swap might be the easy way to go, but I'm not exactly an electric motor expert and haven't been able to find a cross-reference for the stock motor to look at replacements. Anybody know how to decode this motor to something domestic like a Baldor that I can search on?

Am I overlooking anything obvious?

Here are some pics:

Attachments

• DP.jpg
    DP.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 225
  • DP2.jpg
    DP2.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 230
  • DP3.jpg
    DP3.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_1484.JPG
    IMG_1484.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 224
  • IMG_1485.JPG
    IMG_1485.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 214
  • IMG_4749.JPEG
    IMG_4749.JPEG
    2.5 MB · Views: 214
ooh, that'd be a lovely drill press to have! At least this one has an external motor, the original Arboga DP has the motor integral to the head. I'd imagine finding a direct replacement with the correct frame would be very hard, so you're likely to either have to adapt one (mounting plate, motor shaft) or buy a 220-575V transformer. All depends on how much it goes for and how much you want it!

Personally though I'd look into a replacement motor and VFD, that'll make it much more versatile than simply running it off 3ph.

ooh, that'd be a lovely drill press to have! At least this one has an external motor, the original Arboga DP has the motor integral to the head. I'd imagine finding a direct replacement with the correct frame would be very hard, so you're likely to either have to adapt one (mounting plate, motor shaft) or buy a 220-575V transformer. All depends on how much it goes for and how much you want it!

Personally though I'd look into a replacement motor and VFD, that'll make it much more versatile than simply running it off 3ph.
The info I've found on the Arboga E830 suggests it had an external motor like this one does, but that doesn't mean the clones used the identical motor configuration and I haven't found a part number or motor type used by Arboga to even try cross-referencing.

I do have a decent TECO VFD (230V single-phase in to 230V three-phase out) on the shelf that I could use to open up replacement motor options.

I've been doing some searches on transformers, but so far what I've found has been large, expensive, or both.

My thought was that the power requirements might keep the average person from bidding on it and keep it in the couple of hundred dollar range....we'll see.

The info I've found on the Arboga E830 suggests it had an external motor like this one does, but that doesn't mean the clones used the identical motor configuration and I haven't found a part number or motor type used by Arboga to even try cross-referencing.

I do have a decent TECO VFD (230V single-phase in to 230V three-phase out) on the shelf that I could use to open up replacement motor options.

I've been doing some searches on transformers, but so far what I've found has been large, expensive, or both.

My thought was that the power requirements might keep the average person from bidding on it and keep it in the couple of hundred dollar range....we'll see.
I must have been thinking of another Arboga style gearhead DP then or maybe a different model. I agree though that this may all work in your favour when the bidding starts. Fingers crossed and good luck!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the motor still part of the frame of the drill press?

An electric motor shop may be able to bring leads out of the motor so that it would run on the lower voltage.
I was wondering about that as well...it could be a possibility. In theory I think a good electric motor shop could rewire the whole thing to a different voltage, but I suspect that starts to get expensive.

I must have been thinking of another Arboga style gearhead DP then or maybe a different model. I agree though that this may all work in your favour when the bidding starts. Fingers crossed and good luck!
There definitely are Arboga gearhead models where the motor is encased in the overall housing (not sure the correct terminology). Like this one that I found on eBay that had a clear Arboga GM2508 data plate on it.

Attachments

• arboga.jpg
    arboga.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 240
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the motor still part of the frame of the drill press?
I wasn't able to see it in person, but I've found images of similar clones that appear to have bolt holes from the bottom that would suggest they hold the motor in place. It's possible the motor is inside the round housing....not sure. Here's one I found:

Bottom view.jpg

My educated guess is, the motor is part of the machine. The rotor (the rotating element of the motor) and shaft assembly are built into the drive.
As mentioned, find a motor shop that can give you options. If rewinding is that option, you might find a winder that may do it on the side making it a little easier on the pocket.

Back