Arbor challenged / grinding wheel balancing

38super

Registered
Registered
Only have one arbor, drooling on the Sopko site.
A wheel balance question:
Do you mark the wheel to the arbor keyway?I
If using The Tin Barn balance ring, do you keep black book on the weights?
Do you prefer bearing balance or parallel rods?

Do you mark the wheel to the keyway? NO I don’t mark the wheel to the hub for two reasons. Once the wheel is on its on till its wore out and replaced I have a dozen or so hubs. I do not worry of the wheel shifting on the hub because I tighten them pretty good and I have a vfd with soft start so I don’t worry of the wheel shifting. The one thing I do try and line up just to be consistent and maybe cut down on dressing is how I mount the hub to spindle. I put a sharpie mark on the face of the spindle where the nut goes. I always align the keyway of hub to the sharpie mark. Would be smart to check runout of hubs and index to spindle to help cancel runout but I haven’t done all that yet.
I have both types of balances and I prefer the bearing type. I have a Andersen one with four disc with bevels on the perimeter. Two wheel per side. Seems more sensitive than parallels on a 3 point base. Definitely easier to set up.

Last edited:
Have you noticed wheel/arbor shift or soft start to avoid a prob?

Have never had a wheel shift or at least not yet. I’ve only been grinding for about 4yrs though. I’m not aggressive when grinding either.

Back