Arbor Press anvil/daisy wheel

intrepid

Registered
Registered
I scored a good deal on an older 5T arbor press in great shape. The only issue is its missing the anvil/daisy wheel. I can make one but what should I use. It will be 10" round and I was thinking 1" plate. Or would 3/4" be okay? What type metal should I use?

I'm sure mild steel will be fine as long as it's thick enough. I would just confirm how low the ram will go on your press and make sure it will reach the new plate you're considering. I'd go with 1" thick if I was making one.

I'm sure mild steel will be fine as long as it's thick enough. I would just confirm how low the ram will go on your press and make sure it will reach the new plate you're considering. I'd go with 1" thick if I was making one.
Thanks, the ram actually goes just below the top of the base where the anvil will go. Now looking at some others I'm second guessing how large diameter I should make it.

Attachments

• IMG_3308.jpg
    IMG_3308.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3309.jpg
    IMG_3309.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 36
I have a couple of arbor presses that I had to make daisy wheels and snail plates for. The smaller arbor press is a Greenerd 3 1/2 which may be closer to your size, I believe. The top plate is 1” thick. The daisy wheel is 2” thick, but 1” should work fine.

The larger arbor press is a Greenerd 5S. I used 1.5” steel plate for both the daisy wheel and snail plate. Both are 12” in diameter. The 1.5” is about right for this arbor press as the gearing is compounded which generates quite a bit more force. The idea is to get the ram to center up over the hole circle. I find the snail plates more useful than the daisy wheels, but mostly I leave them together and rotate the snail plate.

On mine I rough cut the plate with a torch and then turned the diameters on a lathe. Next, I used a bandsaw to cut out the daisy wheel.

IMG_1046.jpg IMG_1687.jpg IMG_1688.jpg IMG_1689.jpg IMG_1690.jpg

Thanks tailstock4. Good information. My lathe is 10" so I guess that is what I am going to live with, maybe a tad smaller. I never saw or thought of a snail plate but that sure looks handy. I have a pretty complete set of annular cutters and was planing to use them and then the band saw. So, now also I think I'll get enough 1"stock to make a daisy wheel and a snail wheel. Thanks for the extra work

I have a couple of arbor presses that I had to make daisy wheels and snail plates for. The smaller arbor press is a Greenerd 3 1/2 which may be closer to your size, I believe. The top plate is 1” thick. The daisy wheel is 2” thick, but 1” should work fine.

The larger arbor press is a Greenerd 5S. I used 1.5” steel plate for both the daisy wheel and snail plate. Both are 12” in diameter. The 1.5” is about right for this arbor press as the gearing is compounded which generates quite a bit more force. The idea is to get the ram to center up over the hole circle. I find the snail plates more useful than the daisy wheels, but mostly I leave them together and rotate the snail plate.

On mine I rough cut the plate with a torch and then turned the diameters on a lathe. Next, I used a bandsaw to cut out the daisy wheel.

View attachment 482535 View attachment 482536 View attachment 482537 View attachment 482538 View attachment 482539
so you're the one who made the snailplate! I've been referencing your work for ages everytime this comes up, but without being able to remember who did it. Now I just have to remember who did it until the next person asks :D

I bought one off eBay, it's ¾" thick but only about 7" in diameter, works great on my 2 ton arbor press.

Watching this thread. I need to make one for mine as well, but my press is not made to use a daisy wheel, so I think I need to make a shelf for it first.

Back