Arbor stuck in quill WARCO WM 14 MILL

MariusDragomir

Registered
Registered
Dear machinists,
I am new in this forum. Actually, I am mill and lathe hobbyist. Recently I bought my first millIing machine, a WARCO 14 VS MILL. Because I am a beginner in milling and turning, I have started to buy a lot of end mills, different kind of, new and used end mills. I tried to extract 2MT B16 tapped 10mm arbor provided by the manufacturer in order to insert a new MT2 end mill. Surprise! It is stuck! I tried handbook procedure, but unsuccessfully.
This is the reason to write for help on this side.
I need help! Dear machinists, please send me your method to extract stuck arbor.
Thank you for reading my post.

Sorry, those are the procedure for arbor replacement. The arbor cannot be withdrawn from the spindle according to WARCO procedure. Do I need a specific extractor to replace it?

Hello,

remember to use your spindle lock when pounding on the draw bar.

I had my ER collet get stuck in my spindle I think I might have put it in in summer and tried to pop it out in winter. (or the other way round maybe)

If you get worried about pounding on the draw bar (I use a small mallet not a plastic hammer) you could try to make some sort of puller that grips on the recess between the jacobs taper and the morse taper.

Stu

Hello,

remember to use your spindle lock when pounding on the draw bar.

I had my ER collet get stuck in my spindle I think I might have put it in in summer and tried to pop it out in winter. (or the other way round maybe)

If you get worried about pounding on the draw bar (I use a small mallet not a plastic hammer) you could try to make some sort of puller that grips on the recess between the jacobs taper and the morse taper.

Stu
Thank you very much to feed-back me. I will try locking the spindle. Regarding this puller, do you have some pictures or examples to make me more clarified? It sounds to be interesting...

You can put a steel bar (like drill rod) in a collet and hit it a couple of times with a hammer, or twist it back and forth with pliers. If the arbor is stuck due to buildup or hydraulic lock this might loosen it.

Try soaking with penetrating oil or solvent- 50/50 mix of automotive automatic transmission fluid and acetone is a popular secret sauce here in the states. Soak for several hours or days, then apply a source of heat to the assembly such as a light bulb or heat gun, then try tapping again
You might need a more substantial hammer than the plastic mallet, but sometimes a bit of brute force is necessary
Good luck
Mark

Hold a piece of sacrificial material like a chunk of aluminum or brass over the drawbar end to cushion the hammer blows, prevents mushrooming the drawbar end

this is a common problem on my mill I need to support the end of the quill/ spindle from the table use a piece of hardwood or aluminum. and then
smack the drawbar with a good size hammer.b that works for me. I find that if I remove the collet/end mill holder right after use it comes out better bill

If hammering fails & you don't care about the arbor, tilt the head sideways to get clearance for a drill. Drill & tap the end of the arbor. Make a thick wall sleeve that will fit over the arbor and seat against the end of the spindle. Make the sleeve longer than the stick out of the arbor. Use a thick washer to go over the sleeve, thread in a bolt to pull the arbor out (don't forget to remove the drawbar first).

Sorry, I'm not a very good at drawing. :D
20190518_233429.png

This is what I do to remove stubborn arbors out of drill chucks. I also use the same method to extract a centering mandrel out of my rotary table when it's bolted down to the table. Hopefully these pics give you a better idea of what I mean.

20190326_193745.jpg20190326_193724.jpg

20190326_211742.jpg20190326_194041.jpg

Back