Arbor tapers

danm2116

Registered
Registered
Hello all. Total newb to the machinist world. I have a new LMS 5500 mill and acquired a used Albrecht chuck that has a small arbor in it which I do not know how to remove and replace with an R8 for my mill . The relieved area that I would assume a wedge would be used is .4600 in diameter ( main body of arbor is .5000 ) on my digital caliper. Also there is a shoulder below the relieved area where a piece ( washer perhaps ) would need to be placed for pressure would be properly put on the chuck bod ( am I making an sense?? )

One other question is the chuck is marked J33. Is that the same as a JT33 arbor taper?

Attachments

• Albrecht A.jpg
    Albrecht A.jpg
    460.6 KB · Views: 25
  • Albrecht B.jpg
    Albrecht B.jpg
    574.1 KB · Views: 24
  • Albrecht c.jpg
    Albrecht c.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 24
Yes, a washer, a tapered fork, and get busy... It should be a JT33.

Looks like it could be a straight shank that's on it. If it is, you can hold it in a collet.

Definitely straight shank sticking out, JT33 taper in chuck body...

As said, looks like a 1/2" straight shank. J33, JT33, 33JT is all the same, it's the taper on the chuck.

For smaller mills with less Z height it'lll be more convenient for swapping in/out using that short stright arbor than an R8 arbor. I personally would just leave that arbor on it. Very convenient going from a 1/2" edge finder, then to the 1/2" arbor chuck without having to swap out the collect or raising your head.

Oh that's right. Just put a 1/2" collet in and use it in that. Geeeeeezz , like I said I'm a newbie . Thanks for your kindness and great help.

I used one of those, (chuck with 1/2" shank) for a year or so before I realized the collet only had an inch of grabbing surface. I cut the shank to 1 1/8, been happy every since.

You can get a set of Jacobs wedges for a JT33 for about $12 delivered, or you can make some. Then you can pop that arbor out and get whatever suits your fancy. The 1/2 shank is for quick work when you already have a 1/2 collet or mill holder mounted.

Back