Are all center drills the same? Frustrated here...

Considering my tap drill is a #33 at .113" in diameter, can you recommend a spot drill for me to use? More precisely, can you link me to one on Amazon or eBay?
I'll post a few pics . I have quite a few 1/4" up to 1" spotters , but they are a common tool . :)

Small spotting drills . They come in single or double lip with all different angles . I also use them for easy deburring of small holes and use them over a CD whenever I can .

Attachments

• IMG_8815.JPG
    IMG_8815.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG_8816.JPG
    IMG_8816.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 61
I would go with the 1/4" , but that's just me . :dunno:

I would go with the 1/4" , but that's just me . :dunno:
Ok, cool. In the meantime would either one of these bits get me through today? The one on the left looks like a good angle but more likely to break while the one on the right has a much sharper angle.

Attachments

• 489DD28B-046F-4368-843C-B9E4F606A52B.jpeg
    489DD28B-046F-4368-843C-B9E4F606A52B.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 55
C sinks , so no . Better off using a larger center drill and just spotting the hole with it . No need to bury that point . :grin:

Another issue, which may or may not be an active factor here, is having as rigid a setup as possible. When doing cuts, have all axes of the machine and other tooling locked down snug, except for the single moving axis for making the cut. Yes, even on smaller cuts with smaller tools. It is a habit, when ingrained into your mind, becomes automatic and quick, and many problems go away by doing so...

When would one use a spotting drill compared to a center drill, and visa-versa?
A center drill is meant for a CENTER on a lathe. that's what it's original intention was. Many use it to drill a spot... but like everyone has suggested a spotting drill is a better option. A spotting drill has a single or slightly more or less twist. So it's stout. it's mean to give the drill point a landing to keep it in this spot. they make different angles.

I'll bet your speed is too low, and with a bigger mill you don't have the feel you had before. speed is your friend on the small point.
But with a spotting drill you can get by with the same speed as your drill bit.

Back