Are gibs supposed to have a "rough" surface?

+1 to @davidpbest comments - The mainconsideration is that the surface is flat. it would be nice, to have 20 or so points of contact per inch, but frankly wear in will provide some of that.

Stoning it and checking against a surface plat is a good idea. It will insure against significant premature wear

That does look a little rougher than I thought after looking closer- definitely check it for flatness and maybe lap it a bit more
-Mark

Using a die grinder is a way to scrape hardened ways just very light touch.

With the blown up picture, yes now I can see scratches. But how deep are they? I'll bet that they are less than a thousand, and it's nothing to worry about. If you feel a burr with your finger then run a stone a couple of times. I agree with Dabbler and Dave Best, make sure that they are flat. Make sure that after you mount the gibs, that the gib screws are properly adjusted. They will wear. But with the gib screws carefully adjusted they should wear evenly.

My 932 gibs look identical to yours. IMO, they are definitely scraped, as to how and with what and to what extent, we will never know. They definitely could be better but that would be up to your to fix. I actually had a bent gib when I got mine. When I would lock the Y-axis the X-axis handwheel became very hard to turn. I know it sounds unlikely that this would cause the entire saddle to flex but that was the case. PM sent me a replacement that was obviously just a tapered section of gib that needs to be fitted.
If I were you I would make sure there are no sharp edges, clean them up to your liking, install them and adjust the gibs to your satisfaction. Put and indicator on each axis and pull on the table and see what you get with the gibs locked and unlocked. Again, adjust to your preference. If you find the table moves more to one side I would correct the gib and then rescrape it flate.
Somewhat off topic but whats a 932V? I have a 932M, not sure what the V stands for.

Last edited:
Here are two other shots a bit closer/ enhanced to show flavor or I mean detail.

Surprisingly not much in the way of sharp edges few spots along the edges could use a touch up.

Though I will say I think some of the deep spots may be a bit more than a thou, using the finest measuring device of a finger. As I am not sure it's worth the fight to figure out how to set it up given it's shape to check it with a test indicator.

That and still waiting for surface plate. But I did want to at least provide better pics and the followup to it so if someone else new to this has the same question they will have completed info.

Oh and @9t8z28 the PM 932V is the variable speed variant of the PM 932 family. Belt driven 3phase VFD 1.5Hp motor only comes as the basic so no other power feeds otherwise "same" castings/machine.

Attachments

• 20210504_081347.jpg
    20210504_081347.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 92
  • 20210504_081356.jpg
    20210504_081356.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 94
I agree with above. Blue it up against something flat. IF the contact is moderately even across the surface then they should be good to go. Yes, hand scraped gibs would be nice, but I can't afford them!

IMO it looks like a fairly decent go at "scraping" with some sort of rotary abrasive tool. Maybe a flap wheel on a small angle grinder? If done right it should work fine.

Here are two other shots a bit closer/ enhanced to show flavor or I mean detail.

Surprisingly not much in the way of sharp edges few spots along the edges could use a touch up.

Though I will say I think some of the deep spots may be a bit more than a thou, using the finest measuring device of a finger. As I am not sure it's worth the fight to figure out how to set it up given it's shape to check it with a test indicator.

That and still waiting for surface plate. But I did want to at least provide better pics and the followup to it so if someone else new to this has the same question they will have completed info.

Oh and @9t8z28 the PM 932V is the variable speed variant of the PM 932 family. Belt driven 3phase VFD 1.5Hp motor only comes as the basic so no other power feeds otherwise "same" castings/machine.
I didn't know such a machine could be purchased.
The surface plate wont tell you all you need to know. You still don't know if the ways are straight. Thats why I said scrape the gib to the machine, not the other way around. This is how Stefan Gotteswinter did his machine as well.

Back