Resolved Are Notifications Getting to Group Members?

wlburton

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I've been trying to organize a group get-together of the Upper Midwest Hobby Machinists group on August 24th and, aside from a few people who received the notification through a local email list that we generated at the last get-together in February, I haven't had any responses--yea or nay--from the 58 people listed as members of the group, including some I'm almost certain would want to attend. Is there any way to check if the notifications are actually going out to group members? I'm also still having the problem when posting the notifications that the site keeps telling me that it's not posting due to a server error--but it actually is posting (resulting in duplicate posts the other day that the moderators dealt with for me). Additionally, the site says I should post in Group Discussions rather than Group Forums, but all of the conversations about the last get-together seem to have been in the Group Forums area. Consequently, I've been trying to post in both. I just did a "reminder" post in the Group Discussions area so I'll see if that gets any action. Thanks for your help!

Bill Burton

Bill,

We are having some issues with Moderator access in Groups. I don't happen to be a member of any Group (none around Houston) so I do not know whether or not for Group members there is a Watched button as there are in the regular Fora. However, I did find one thing.

If you click on your User ID up near the right end of the main tool bar, you will be taken to your Account. Do that, and then click on Preferences. About mid-screen, the is one that says "Receive email when a new discussion is started in a group you belong to ". To the left of it is a check box. If that box is checked, each Group member with it checked should have gotten an email when you wrote your first notice. However, I do not know whether the Default for a new member is Checked or Unchecked. If you don't recall knowing that that was there, it is probably still on the default. Look at yours and tell me whether it is checked or not.

Upvote 0
Well, then, at least some Group members should have received an email. Of course, anyone may go into their Account and turn off that feature. And there is no practical way that I can go down the member list and see which way each member has it now set.

Upvote 0
Morning Bill,

Robert is spot on with this. Many members will uncheck the notifications button so as not to have their inboxes and phones lit up from all of the posts on H-M. If they do have it checked however, then they are receiving the notifications.

I'll see if there are some options on the admin side that may be over-riding the feature in Groups. As Robert has already covered, we have had some moderator issues and it is a possibility that something else has changed in the recent upgrade we experienced.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

EDIT: I found a setting where push notifications have been disabled automatically because our version of PHP is out-of-date. I've put in a request for our version to get updated and this should fix the problem as soon as it occurs. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OK. And just out of idle interest, what is PHP? I may have seen something about that elsewhere (not on this site).

FYI, I do still receive messages sent to Support@hobby-machinist.com. And copies of new posts (including new threads) in watched fora. And for example your post to this thread, although not the addenda (EDIT).

Upvote 0
I really appreciate you guys looking into this for me.

Bill

Upvote 0
Morning Bill,

Robert is spot on with this. Many members will uncheck the notifications button so as not to have their inboxes and phones lit up from all of the posts on H-M. If they do have it checked however, then they are receiving the notifications.

I'll see if there are some options on the admin side that may be over-riding the feature in Groups. As Robert has already covered, we have had some moderator issues and it is a possibility that something else has changed in the recent upgrade we experienced.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

EDIT: I found a setting where push notifications have been disabled automatically because our version of PHP is out-of-date. I've put in a request for our version to get updated and this should fix the problem as soon as it occurs. Apologies for the inconvenience.
Should I wait a couple of days and repost the notification, then?

Upvote 0
Should I wait a couple of days and repost the notification, then?
The PHP upgrade has been completed but there is some additional debugging that is needed by our tech support on the server side. I'm guessing that it will be resolved tomorrow if all goes well.

Thanks for everybody's patience.

Upvote 0
Back