Argon Tank Sizing

I had been watching his videos earlier in the day yesterday. ;)

Thanks for the info!

Both of the welders you listed are DC only machines and will not weld aluminum. Of the two, I would go for the Power I-tig mainly for the High Frequency start(although the specs don't list it). The cheaper machine is a lift start, which will be a pain to use and learn with.

I have the AHP Alphatig 200x and have been happy with the performance of the machine.

Pure Argon is fine for welding steel. Its the only gas I use, because it works for everything I weld.

If you have any experience with oxy-acetylene you will have no problem using a tig. The basic process is the same, get the puddle started and feed the rod as you go .:encourage:

Both of the welders you listed are DC only machines and will not weld aluminum. Of the two, I would go for the Power I-tig mainly for the High Frequency start(although the specs don't list it). The cheaper machine is a lift start, which will be a pain to use and learn with.

I have the AHP Alphatig 200x and have been happy with the performance of the machine.

Pure Argon is fine for welding steel. Its the only gas I use, because it works for everything I weld.

Hi DSaul,

According to Mr. Tig it is possible to weld aluminum with a DC machine using DC Positive, oversize tungsten, and 100% Argon.

Yes I like the idea of having the features. I will probably never outgrow that welder with alll of its features...

If you have any experience with oxy-acetylene you will have no problem using a tig. The basic process is the same, get the puddle started and feed the rod as you go .:encourage:

I have Oxy/A and good ole ARC welding experience, albeit a long time ago. I will definitely need to practice a lot.

I got a 300cf tank when I got my welder in January. I have done a good bit of welding since and have not had to get it filled yet. .4c9b0271bd30a1156786fe221a440ff2.jpg

sent from my campfire with smoke signals

If there's any chance you think you'll do Alum better get the 250 EX . Alum uses alotta power . Helium is VERY expensive, most home shop Alum is with AC and straight Argon . And TIG on steel uses straight Argon too , not mig mix Ar/CO2 as mentioned previously. You should do some more reading before buying, take your time, u don't wana get something then find you've gotta upgrade 6 mos down the line.
As far as the welders, alot of guys use Everlast and are happy... if u can afford a Miller get that. If not, an Everlast is a good machine.

Last edited:
It might be just the type of machine I have, AHP Alpha TIG 200x, but I tried straight Argon on steel and Ar/Co2 mix and found the mix welded better with good penetration.
Also the Co2 mix is $21 cheaper than straight Argon in my area. Since I MIG weld, I have both types of shielding gas, and use more of the Mix.

I got a 300cf tank when I got my welder in January. I have done a good bit of welding since and have not had to get it filled yet. .4c9b0271bd30a1156786fe221a440ff2.jpg

melsdad,

How do you like your Everlast? I am looking at their welders now an just got approved on their web site. They have a $1000 minimum for the loan so I guess I will be upgrading to something a little more than what I had in mind LOL...

Now I am looking at their POWERTIG 200DV.
I spoke to one of the sales persons and got them to switch out the torch from the #26 to the #17.
The premium startup pack and the EV-POWERPEDAL 50DL- DELUXE FOOT PEDAL are also included.

$1,300.00 shipped

200DV_png.png

Last edited:
melsdad,

How do you like your Everlast? I am looking at their welders now an just got approved on their web site. They have a $1000 minimum for the loan so I guess I will be upgrading to something a little more than what I had in mind LOL...

Now I am looking at their POWERTIG 200DV.
I spoke to one of the sales persons and got them to switch out the torch from the #26 to the #17.
The premium startup pack and the EV-POWERPEDAL 50DL- DELUXE FOOT PEDAL are also included.

$1,300.00 shipped

200DV_png.png
I bought the 250EXT with the water cooler..obviously. I upgraded to the ck 20 flex head torch with 25' cables/hoses and also upgraded to the SSC foot pedal.

Back