[Newbie] Arrow on chuck

DavidR8

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
The Kobayashi chuck that came with my lathe has an arrow pointing toward one of the chuck key holes.
Any idea what this signifies?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have heard that some chuck manufacturers have what's called a "primary" pinion.
Though any chuck pinion will close the chuck, the primary one was used when they ground the chuck jaws.
So it should give better (more repeatable) accuracy.

-brino

Last edited:
I was sort of thinking that it had to be something along those lines.
I checked it using the shaft of an end mill yesterday and it’s very concentric and repeatable so that’s a real plus.

My 4-jaw is arriving tomorrow I think so that will be my go-to when I need to make rocket parts

I have heard that some chuck manufacturers have what's called a "primary" pinion.
Though any chuck pinion will close the chuck, the primary one was used when they ground the chuck jaws.
So it should give better (more repeatable) accuracy.

-brino

This is what I have heard too. I have also heard that even if you don't have a marked pinion, you should choose one & stick that one for tightening.

I tested this once, used another pinion for tightening. I couldn't really tell a difference. Still I use the marked pinions for tightening on my scroll chucks anyway. Only use the unmarked ones for loosening.

My 4-jaw is arriving tomorrow I think so that will be my go-to when I need to make rocket parts

I tried to make rocket parts once, all the rockets blew up. :dunno:

I remember it more accurately as my satellite slammed into your rocket as it was making it's final stage. :grin:

Nope, that was probably someone else's rocket, who didn't get fired. My rockets never left the atmosphere.;)

I tried to make space shuttle parts too. Remember the Challenger? Yeah that wasn't me, NASA wouldn't buy & told me to kick rock...ets. :D (no disrespect to those who lost lives that day)

I keep intending to make rocket parts. I fell down the machining rabbit hole. I might bother climbing out at some point. :)

Back