Assistance with lathe in deceased estate?

silly_sally

Registered
Registered
Hi folks, thank you for approving my membership request.
I live in Australia and have no experience with machinery but am the daughter of someone who was what I would call an "extreme hobbyist" in terms of tools and machinery. Unfortunately he passed away last year and I have the job of finding homes for all of his belongings.... which leads me to your forum. :)

He has all sorts of tools, most of which my sisters and I have now sold but one of the remaining pieces is a lathe and a lot of accessories. It was his pride and joy so I would like to do the right thing by it and find it a good home while also trying to make sure that I don't get taken advantage of due to my lack of knowledge.

Unfortunately I don't know a lot about this lathe other than it says Acraturn G-1000AS and is stamped 1985. My dad bought it new when I was young and had recently converted it to 3phase but apparently the 240v motor is still there. As I grew up I remember him working on it a lot as he was into cars, but people who have bought other tools have seen it while they were here and have commented that it looks like it's had light use.

I'm hoping that you might be able to assist in placing a price on this machine and its accessories? It will be sent to a local auction house but I need to come up with a reserve and I have no idea what a reasonable number is. If anyone is familiar with this machine and might be able to list specifications that I can pass on to the auction facility, that would also be wonderful.

Thanks again for allowing me to post this here. If there is one piece of advice that I could pass along as someone who's dealing with a hobbyist parent's estate -- consider itemising all of your tools/machinery in your will or fully documenting it with family. Noone knows your tools like you do, what they're for, what they're worth or what you would like done with them when you pass. It's a stressful experience trying to handle your treasured items while not knowing what they are or who to trust in their sale.

Happy holidays!

IMG_6529.JPGIMG_6533.JPG
IMG_6531.JPG
IMG_6532.JPG
IMG_6536.JPG
IMG_6535.JPG
IMG_6534.JPG

Sorry for your loss. Your father had quite the collection of tooling. I know nothing about the used lathe or machinist tool market in Australia, hopefully someone on here can help.

That looks like a competent lathe. My guess is the lot could go for $6000 US.

Also sorry I can't help from here,but I am very sorry for your loss. From what I can see is that your father took care of the lathe and have quite a bit of tooling. If you can sell out of hand I think it would be better. There is quite a bit of money there in the table alone. I am sure when the right people on this site reads your post,they will be able to help you. Once again,very sorry for your loss.

Michael

The lathe was probably made in Taiwan - and there are now Chinese versions of the lathe on the market.
Over the past number of years, there's been a decline in interest in such tools, even though it is in very good shape and not used in a production environment. Most production shops have lathes of this size, configured for computer controlled work.

The tooling that you show would easily equal the cost of the lathe if bought new.

To give you a direct answer,
1) it's in good shape
2) it has a lot of desirable tooling
3) has been converted to 3 phase
4) the compete package reserve would be in the range of $5,000

Scrap value would be in the range of $500, if that, and you'd have to bring it to the scrap dealer.

To make it attractive to a hobby user the bidding should start at no more than $1,000

Hope this helps

Hi Sally- I would say 5000$ US for everything in the pictures, minimum. That's the lathe and all the tooling shown in the several pictures you posted. It could go for more of course, and hopefully will.
All the best
-Mark

Hi folks, sorry for the slow reply but I thought I'd follow up on this. We did sell the lathe all up with all the tooling for $9000 which translates to $6019 USD. So you guys were pretty spot on. :)

It may have been worth more to split all the tooling and sell it all piece by piece but we weren't really up to the task. This is just one piece of machinery of many and we didn't know what each of the accessories were for any of it. We've been going for about 8 months now, selling bits of his collection piece by piece.

Thanks again for all your help!

Back