at the scrap yard......

In the event that you score the 9j and are unable to source #10 collets/tooling I wonder if you could turn an arbor #10BS on one end and a more common cheaper collet system on the other.
Does the #10 use a nut or a drawbar? That might determine what the set up would look like.=

Daryl

Daryl,

I did exactly that for the mill I had. Made a adapter with a No. 10 B & S shank for the spindle end, the other end made for ER-32 collets. Worked like a charm. The Gorton 9J mills had a drawbar with 5/8-11 thread.

Ken

In the event that you score the 9j and are unable to source #10 collets/tooling I wonder if you could turn an arbor #10BS on one end and a more common cheaper collet system on the other.
Does the #10 use a nut or a drawbar? That might determine what the set up would look like.=

Daryl

I will have to take a closer look at it to find out the details. I didn't look to see if there was a draw bar hole but did check out the
taper and it was about Morse #4 in diameter at the wide end but seemed like a lesser angle taper. I will consult with my
Machinist's handbook and see if what I saw would agree with a #10BS taper. Apparently the BS10 needs a draw bar.
Also will look in my tooling and see if I have anything resembling a BS10.

EDIT: Ken, Thanks for the draw bar information!

Cathead,
Should you make the pick and appreciate a day going through the geometry and and scraping out any rust.
Please let me know, Bemidji isn't really that far (3.5hours).
I am certainly no expert. But, would humbly share what I know. On the other hand your expertise and experience may far outweigh mine.
Note: it'd cost you coffee and a sandwich!!

Edit: just spoke with my bride. She identified that if we waited until it was warmer we'd tow our 16foot Scamp (http://www.scamptrailers.com/) and stay at Lake Bemidji State Park.
Sorry if it seems like I am inviting myself to your shop. I get excited about this sort of conservation of vintage.

Daryl
MN

Cathead,

Gorton only made the 9J with a No. 10 B & S taper. No other option was offered! Without using a adapter.

Ken

Daryl,

You are welcome to visit my shop any time. You could kill two birds with one stone if you bring the Scamp. I don't consider
myself an expert either but have learned a few things over the years.

Burt

None of the scrap yards in my area will sell anything........... Also heard there might be liability issues.

I am _SO_ lucky I can go and walk thru my "local" scrap yard and paw thru piles and pick up stuff.

I saw a B&S#10 to something smaller adapter at my local used tool place. (...maybe to B&S #9 or 7, maybe.....)
Those kinda things usually run ~30 $CAD.
Let me know if you're interested and I'll see if I can swing a discount; it's been there for months.......

-brino

I am _SO_ lucky I can go and walk thru my "local" scrap yard and paw thru piles and pick up stuff.

I saw a B&S#10 to something smaller adapter at my local used tool place. (...maybe to B&S #9 or 7, maybe.....)
Those kinda things usually run ~30 $CAD.
Let me know if you're interested and I'll see if I can swing a discount; it's been there for months.......

-brino

Brino,

I'm not really sure what I need yet but I do thank you for offering.

South Bend lathe with about a 12 foot bed .... Wow would I have loved to have gotten my hands on that...

Moses Glick scrap yard near Reading, PA will let you browse the yard and buy whatever you want. Steel .45 pound, tool steel 1.00, alum 1.65, plastics 1.50. Motors, gears, electricals, machines, gear reducers, process equipment and anything you can imagine constantly changing.............Bob

The south bend lathe bed is probably now Chinese razor blades.
Long gone

Back