Atf As Coolant?

I just did a search. It looks like water soluble would be the best for that grinder.

Thanks Daryl,
Some quotes from the Rustlick MSDS

Respiratory protection = Not normally required. Control vapor or mist concentrations below exposure limits through use of general or local exhaust ventilation.

On another note, atf is often cooled in an automobile using a small radiator so I would believe atf must have a decent heat transfer capability. Also, it does not have to clean the transmission because contrary to engine oil there is nothing to foul it. If used as a coolant on a grinder, I would not expect it to hold contaminants in suspension like engine oil would.

ATF will last a long time if it is not overheated. I would say that it is primarily formulated for lubricity and stable viscosity over a wide range of temperatures. I believe that the viscosity of atf is in the SAE 7 to 8 range.

However as just mentioned in the post above, there is nothing like something designed for that specific type of grinder.

Last edited:
I don't believe atf will transfer heat enough for that type of grinder. Water base will. To see the difference take to pieces of steal and heat them the same stick one in water and one in atf for the same time a couple of seconds and check the temp. The one in water will be much cooler. When grinding a long shaft heat is your enemy.

I used atf /acetone for a while as a penetrating fluid for stuck bolts in addition to a propane torch (nasty smelling stuff, switched to vegtable oil acetone instead). Spraying the mix liberally on red hot bolts or re heating ( if it didnt work the first time) only resulted in small flare ups. It wasnt a scary mess like petrol/gas. I think the flame was mostly from the acetone as it would usually burn out. On a larger scale who knows but i would surmise it is a low flammability unless there is an already raging fire.

Has anyone tried making their own sunnen style fluid? It could be really cheap it the oil is something like fryer oil

I had a vehicle burn to the ground from spilling ATF on the hot exhaust manifold so don't be mistaken of its ability to ignite.

I said it is hard for me to picture the explosion that I repeated that was explained to me but if it ignites it is a fast violent ignition. I know this first hand. However I've also seen dry grease catch on fire from grinder sparks that I didn't think likely until I seen it.

Rustlick seems popular. I haven't used it.
For comparison Rustlick MSDS:
http://www1.mscdirect.com/MSDS/MSDS00017/00269035-20120215.PDF

Daryl
MN

First coolant I got when starting out. Flashy name, flashy advertising, and flashy label. Pretty disappointed in it. So I bought some Trim MicroSol 585XT and wow what a difference. I was just checking their web site. They have so much stuff it'll make your head spin. I thinking the 585 fluid would work good for the grinder also, but maybe I'll have to see if I can call a rep tomorrow and get his advise.

I had a vehicle burn to the ground from spilling ATF on the hot exhaust manifold so don't be mistaken of its ability to ignite.

I said it is hard for me to picture the explosion that I repeated that was explained to me but if it ignites it is a fast violent ignition. I know this first hand. However I've also seen dry grease catch on fire from grinder sparks that I didn't think likely until I seen it.

That's the thing with oil. Hard to get burning but once it's going it has a very hot burn temp and burns like crazy. ATF is defiantly out... I'll be changing it out in my valve grinder also...Don't think it was ever a good idea. Only good thing is that the run time on a valve grinder is minimal usually so your exposure is less.

The "Trim" products are by Master chemical Corp. Good web site.

Back