Atlas 10'' lathe info please.

Quick Cal

Registered
Registered
I'm getting ready to pick up an Atlas 10''. I think it might be a 10d, not sure until I get it in my possession. It does have the vertical countershaft.

I don't think it comes with the Atlas stand. But I'm mildly interested in one down the road maybe. But I see different versions of it. I see some of those legs have a big tri-angle cut out where you mount a big cast iron piece for a motor mount. Some do not have this.

Can anyone show me, or tell me if a 10d (assuming it's a 10d) would require this type of motor mount? Pics would be great.

Thanks for any info.

Here's a random pic I found.

s-l160036uj.jpg

Those old legs are so rickety I wouldn't bother with those. Build your own table out of strong lumber
or buy a tool cabinet to put it on then you'll have the bonus of drawers

Those old legs are so rickety I wouldn't bother with those. Build your own table out of strong lumber
or buy a tool cabinet to put it on then you'll have the bonus of drawers
Thanks for the reply.

With all do respect kind Sir. Have you had one of these stands and know first hand, or just something you read,,,,lol.

Can someone else verify they are rickety. Thanks.

I’d post this question in the Atlas specific forum. There’s a fellow over there that doesn’t wander in to the other forums much, and he’s made it his mission to collect any and all Atlas information known to mankind.

The Atlas floor stands were not beefy, but also not spindly. For a 54" bed model (36" between centers) the 1945 catalog called out 165 lbs. for the Vertical Countershaft version, and 176 lbs. for the Horizontal Countershaft type. They were designed to be bolted to the floor.

The Atlas floor stands were not beefy, but also not spindly. For a 54" bed model (36" between centers) the 1945 catalog called out 165 lbs. for the Vertical Countershaft version, and 176 lbs. for the Horizontal Countershaft type. They were designed to be bolted to the floor.

Are those weight capacities of the stand, or what the lathe weighs? I found an old ad. It say mine, the smallest one, weighs 242 pounds. Surely the stand was made to hold them.

s-l1600=.jpg
I’d post this question in the Atlas specific forum. There’s a fellow over there that doesn’t wander in to the other forums much, and he’s made it his mission to collect any and all Atlas information known to mankind.

Done. Thanks

The weights I quoted are for just the stand with two legs, a wood top, and a wood shelf.

Back