Atlas 10'' lathe info please.

Quick Cal

Registered
Registered
I'm getting ready to pick up an Atlas 10''. I think it might be a 10d, not sure until I get it in my possession. It does have the vertical countershaft.

I don't think it comes with the Atlas stand. But I'm mildly interested in one down the road maybe. But I see different versions of it. I see some of those legs have a big tri-angle cut out where you mount a big cast iron piece for a motor mount. Some do not have this.

Can anyone show me, or tell me if a 10d (assuming it's a 10d) would require this type of motor mount? Pics would be great.

Thanks for any info.

Here's a random pic I found.

s-l160036uj.jpg

First you should set up your signature by clicking on it in the main tool bar at TOS. That's better than us having to refer to you as ""hey you" or other salutations.. Once you learn whether the machine is a 10D or 10F you can go to Downloads and download an appropriate manual.
But before you do that, I will point out that Downloads is not quite free because it costs us a little cash each month to make it available for downloading. Click on Donations in the main tool bar for an explanation. Be sure to read the whole article. Because selling on the site also isn't free but costs a little more than access to downloads. And as you are just starting, you are unlikely to have anything to sell yet.

First you should set up your signature by clicking on it in the main tool bar at TOS. That's better than us having to refer to you as ""hey you" or other salutations.. Once you learn whether the machine is a 10D or 10F you can go to Downloads and download an appropriate manual.
But before you do that, I will point out that Downloads is not quite free because it costs us a little cash each month to make it available for downloading. Click on Donations in the main tool bar for an explanation. Be sure to read the whole article. Because selling on the site also isn't free but costs a little more than access to downloads. And as you are just starting, you are unlikely to have anything to sell yet.

I'll check all that out.

Actually. I just looked at my profile and I didn't see where to add my name. It's got my date of birth and where I'm from. Unless I just missed it. But I guess you're saying add it to my sig line?

BTW. My name is Cal. And I'm quick,,,,lol.

As far as I know, both the 10F and 10D use either a horizontal or vertical countershaft arrangement which includes the motor mount as a part of its assembly.

That triangle looking piece wouldn’t have any application to the drivetrain on either.

I have seen it before. But I assumed it was for a much later Craftsman 12 inch lathe. My Atlas 10F doesn’t have that part. And even if I had the bench you’re talking about, it wouldn’t have a use.

I did some snooping around.
That triangular piece is for a 12” 3900 series Atlas.
So you don’t need it for yours.

Cal, yes your name or handle goes in the sig line.

The 1/2" way Atlas and the identical except for Model numbers and nameplates late Craftsman 12" with 1/2" ways came out in mid or late 1957 and replaced the Atlas 10" and early Craftsman 12" and were revised in 1966 and 1967. Almost all accessories except for counter shafts and belt drives carried over to the new models. And a cabinet model was added in 1958. The cabinet variant was the final production model in March of 1981. My Atlas-Clausing 3996, made late in 1980, is the latest one that we currently have any record of.

There was a small production run of a variant of the cabinet model done for school contracts which we have had 2 or 3 reports of but no dates. Main differences were that the drive belts were much less accessible unless you were the trade school instructor. Model number was 1200 or 12000.

Last edited:
Back