Atlas 10F reverse tumbler

current_resident

Registered
Registered
Hello all. I made the change to a quick change gear box. The tear down and rebuild went fairly smoothly, and install wasn't terrible. The box came with everything but a reverse tumbler. I've fabbed up a reverse tumbler that will work for now, but I'd like to get the correct tumbler for it at some point. The parts lists I've seen list the tumbler as 10-1203. Does anyone know if there is an updated part #, or if a tumbler from another machine will work? I've already tried the L3-21A, and it's way too short. The net seems pretty lacking on any info about this part, and I can't find anyone that has one for sale. Can anyone offer any insight?

current resident (what is your name?)

There were three model numbers assigned to the 10" QCGB. The `1 500 was for the 10F with 3/4" lead screw. The 1570 was for the 10D and earlier with 5/8" lead screw. And the 6800 fit either and I guess that you had to specify the lead screw diameter when ordering as both lead screw diameters were listed. The only difference that I saw between the first two and the third was the tumbler. The first two had a spring-loaded detent similar to the later 12" whereas the 6800 had a pinch bolt so to move the tumbler required a wrench to loosen the clamp screw.

The part number of the main gearbox casting is 10-1501 for the first two and 10-1580 on the third. So you will have to ID the model number to know which tumbler to look for.

current resident (what is your name?

There were three model numbers assigned to the 10" QCGB. The `1 500 was for the 10F with 3/4" lead screw. The 1570 was for the 10D and earlier with 5/8" lead screw. And the 6800 fit either and I guess that you had to specify the lead screw diameter when ordering as both lead screw diameters were listed. The only difference that I saw between the first two and the third was the tumbler. The first two had a spring-loaded detent similar to the later 12" whereas the 6800 had a pinch bolt so to move the tumbler required a wrench to loosen the clamp screw.

The part number of the main gearbox casting is 10-1501 for the first two and 10-1580 on the third. So you will have to ID the model number to know which tumbler to look for.
My name is Joe, nice to meet you! The one I have is the 1500, needs the tumbler with the spring detent. Unfortunately I can barely find any mention of the part (10-1203), and I've only found one picture. I don't think people are letting go of these, so I had to make my own.

Priced all over the place but there are several there on eBay, some more complete than others. And we have a couple of documents on the 1500 in Dpwnloads. Look for Atlas QCGB after following the instructions to Click Here First and second and then clicking on Atlas. You will have to be a Donor in order to actually download them. But you can see the titles as is.

Priced all over the place but there are several there on eBay, some more complete than others. And we have a couple of documents on the 1500 in Dpwnloads. Look for Atlas QCGB after following the instructions to Click Here First and second and then clicking on Atlas. You will have to be a Donor in order to actually download them. But you can see the titles as is.
Unfortunately not the right ones are for sale right now. I'll keep an eye out on there, one is bound to pop up for sale eventually. Thanks for your help!

Yeah, you are probably right. The one that I was looking at was a 12". However, if you don't already have it, you will need the Hanger Assembly 10-1502.
But if you do need it, you should ask the seller if he has the Index Plate 10-1248 as it does not show up in the photo and it is part of that assembly.

I installed the tumbler I made for this, since I couldn't find 10-1203 anywhere. It uses the gears and studs from a L3-21A (12" reverse tumbler). I made the detent assembly from pieces around the shop. Clamped L3-21A to a piece of 1/2" plate, used transfer punches to get the locations proper, drilled the holes. Then cut a relief for the big gear and shaped the part to fit. Once installed, I set it in neutral to get an accurate location of the arm. Cut the arm from 1" x 1/2" and welded that on, along with the detent assembly holder, also from the same stock. Smoothed and shaped. It works perfect. I may not even replace it.
tumbler1.jpegtumbler2.jpegtumbler3.jpeg

Back