Atlas 12 in half nut "Brass ?"

Yes, if they can. It may help to be a known regular customer but I've never been made to feel unwelcome by anyone there. I didn't actually ask you whether or not you got the new half nuts from them - just assumed that as they were supposedly Zamak that you had. Did you?

No, ebay. I really didnt think they would have much for a machine that old and i assumed the prices would be rather high if they did. Was i wrong on both accounts?

I actually need the cross feed mitre gear bearing and bushing as the lathe was missing it when i bought it.

They do still have a fair number of parts for the lathes and a few for the mill. Almost none for the shaper. Prices are generally about what you would pay today for similar parts for newer lathes (in other words not cheap Chinese prices but generally fair. Of course, if you have preconceptions based on 1940's catalogs or Harbor Freight, you will be disappointed. Prices on gears that you can buy and modify to work on an Atlas will be around what you would pay for the US made blank plus what you would pay a shop to modify it. What did you pay for the half nuts on eBay? And did they claim that they were factory?

Factory probably has the cross feed parts. All that you can do is to call them and ask. But as you didn't buy the half nuts from them, forget what I wrote earlier about calling them, unless you think that they were actually factory. In which case they won't refund your cost but should be willing to try to help you figure out what happened.

paid $60. yes they were supposed to be factory. Ordering new from clauseing mon. went through and readjusted the carriage and found it moves Alot easier now, have to watch close when i get the new ones in to see if anything is binding. I thought the half nuts i got were kinda soft.

Watch out when adjusting the carriage. Most all lathes get most of the wear to the bed ways with the tool close to the chuck, in a fairly small area of the total bed ways. If you adjust the gibs in that area, and you move it closer to the headstock or closer the the tailstock end of the bed, you will be sliding on metal that is much less worn, so the gibs will be too tight if they were adjusted where the most wear is. This is a common problem on all slide way machines, and must be understood and taken into account when adjusting the gibs. Often, when there is differential wear on the bed ways, the gibs would be adjusted so they are just a little tight, but still sliding freely near the far right of the bed, where there is normally much less wear. In the most worn areas of the bed, with the same gib settings, the gibs will be somewhat loose. That is about the best compromise you can make If you want better, the ways will need to be ground or scraped parallel and in the same plane along the entire length of the bed. That is not an easy project.

Found the problem. Although i thought they were closeing all the way they were not! Play in the end at the scroll stroke allowed the half nuts to to move. the bottom was dropping and the top could raise slightly causing them to not engage fully.

I encountered that problem while trying to clean my Th42! When I put it back together, I found that their was not enough shim under the saddle and it was way to tight.
When I got the lathe, the gears in the gear box for the forward and reverse was destroyed as well as the Half nuts. I added shim and the problem went away.

Back