atlas 12 powerfeed mechanism horrible noise

bkcorwin

Active User
Registered
Hello. My 12 inch atlas is having a strange problem with the power feed mechanism. Specifically in tuhe head stock area. Sometimes I'm can start the lathe with forward feed engaged and everything begins fine. Then in a minute or so I get this horrible screeching/rattling sound out of the headstock gears that driuve the qcgb. nothing is hot to the touch. All gears look fine.

The one thing I could think of is maybe the gears are loose and they vibrate oiut of position. I note that there is a bit of play in the gears on their shafts but it doesn't appear I can tighten it out. Any suggestions on what to look at and check?

Thanks much
Brian

Hi Brian, if every thing looks OK with the gears and they are lubed, it might be a problem in the QCGB making the gears tighten up, a dry bush or chips inside, is it speed related and does it happen in all gears?

Bernard

Hi all. Clutch is an interesting thought. I believe it has line driving the leadscrew. Does anyone know how toseperate the leadscrew from the gearbox? I can't seem to see how to slide the box off.

Does a slipping/bad clutch make a lot of noise?

Back