Atlas 3950 6" Lathe split nut lever removal

RockyCreek

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
(first post)
I recently purchased a 3950 that appears to have seen little use but needs disassembly and cleaning.

First problem so far is the split nut lever is very difficult to turn. I've removed the split nuts and the spring/ball detent and sprayed WD-40 inside. Was able to move the lever, but still very hard.

It looks like the split nut cam (part #M6-38) has a square end that the lever is pressed on and might have been peened to retain (picture attached).

I assume driving the split nut cam out is the way to go for disassembly, but perhaps someone out there has some advice to offer to avoid damage and/or some assembly advice. Bang away with a brass punch or make a pushing tool? It sure looks like a place for a threaded fastener alteration for reassembly.

Thanks in advance for any help

Attachments

• IMG_0753.jpg
    IMG_0753.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 8
Instead of peening I would drill and tap holes in the handle for a pair of setscrews
Maybe 8-32 size? at 90 degrees to each other
Also I would drill small dimples in the shaft to match

I remember having the same thought on mine if I had to replace the assembly (haven't had to yet)
Seems the factory was taking a shortcut on this particular part, peening it in place. Kinda cheesy
-Mark

Last edited:
Later either production or models of the 12" and I think 10" have the lever that operates the half-nut actuator attached with an oval head or rack & panel screw. The shaft of the actuator has two flats milled on opposite sides of it and is drilled and tapped on its end for the rack & panel screw. The hole for the actuator shaft in the rear of the actuator lever has two flats on the sides of it so that the lever cannot spin on the shaft. But I do not know how that hole is made. And I either do not know or do not remember whether they ever did that on any of the 6" models.

On the 6" it's a square handle hole and shaft, presumably die cast. On the larger lathes the handle has an attaching fastener, not on the 6"

Last edited:
Here are photos showing how I removed/re-attached the split nut lever (M6-29) from/to the cam (M6-38) on my Craftsman 101.07301.
I used a Dremel tool to cut a groove around the original peened top of the square shaft (photo 2), thinning it enough to give when I pried it off (photo 3). I drilled & tapped a hole in the end of the square shaft to re-attach with a machine screw and washer (photo 4.)

Larry F.

Attachments

• Handle_1.jpg
    Handle_1.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Handle_2.jpg
    Handle_2.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Handle_3.jpg
    Handle_3.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Handle_4.jpg
    Handle_4.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 9
Thanks everyone, and extra thanks to Larry for the great pictures and instructions on how to disassemble and reassemble!

So far, a very helpful forum. Joined as a member. Lol, half what I just spent on a 50 year old lathe - two pretty good deals this week.

Back