Atlas 618 broken compound slide (M6-303)

Rob_fixit

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
While disassembling the lathe, I noticed a crack on the underside of the compound slide, and then it fell apart in my hand. Considering how thin the material is, even with a good brazing job (it's cast iron), what is the likelihood it will break again? There looks to be a solid steel replacement available, which may be an option.

Although, if I had a milling machine I could make it myself....hmmm....(glances over to the PM website)

IMG_9490.jpeg

Well, 99% of the time, I'm on the side of "fix it". But in this case I would say either buy the steel one that's available or buy that mill that you really want. I think even if you successfully braze it back together, it will likely require a bit of machining to make it true.

Ted

While disassembling the lathe, I noticed a crack on the underside of the compound slide, and then it fell apart in my hand. Considering how thin the material is, even with a good brazing job (it's cast iron), what is the likelihood it will break again? There looks to be a solid steel replacement available, which may be an option.

Although, if I had a milling machine I could make it myself....hmmm....(glances over to the PM website)

View attachment 480351
I would look at mini lathe compounds.
You new for under $100 and with little you have new compound.

Dave

Edit: That part has gone way up in price- I had no idea, I thought 50$ tops- wrong

Last edited:
Those slides are north of # 200.00 on ebay . Mrpete222 has a couple tubes on making one . Have ya tried askin over on the 6x18 io group ?
animal

My little Craftsman broke in the same spot when I pushed it a little too hard. Was a difficult order to make, I got a NOS one but steel would have been better.

John

View attachment 480351
Here one from Amazon for $65.00

Dave

Thank you all for your replies. If I can get some shop time at the local community college I will make this myself. Otherwise, I will buy the solid steel version. However, if I can figure out how to get 220v to the shop, a mill may be incoming sooner rather than later and I will make the part at home. After all, milling machines are for making lathe parts, right? Thanks for letting me know Mr. Pete did a series on making one.

Last edited:
I don't remember is the compound actually metal or is it Zamak ? That one on Amazon if the dimensions are workable sure seems like a lot of bang for yer buck .
animal

I don't remember is the compound actually metal or is it Zamak ? That one on Amazon if the dimensions are workable sure seems like a lot of bang for yer buck .
animal
The original is cast iron, like the one on Amazon.

Back