Atlas 618

WCraig

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
The market for hobby lathes may be quite different in the interior of British Columbia...but $2,000 seems "optimistic". Even though it looks like a pretty pristine example of a 618. OTOH, Kijiji buyers aren't shy about offering less than the asking price!

Craig

Tim9

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
seems very high for a 618. I like my Atlas 618....and it's nicely tooled up and all clocked in. I sell it with all tooling in a heartbeat for 1200.00
And even that would be a gift to me for a 618 IN MY OPINION.... Unless they have markedly appreciated in the last year.

DavidR8

Soaking up knowledge!
H-M Platinum Supporter
There a local 618 for sale, asking 800. Had look but passed on it.

WCraig

seems very high for a 618. I like my Atlas 618....and it's nicely tooled up and all clocked in. I sell it with all tooling in a heartbeat for 1200.00
And even that would be a gift to me for a 618 IN MY OPINION.... Unless they have markedly appreciated in the last year.
I think the mixture of US and Canadian dollars in this thread is causing some confusion. USD $1,200 is approximately CAD $1,650 (give or take). The CAD $2,000 asking price in the original post doesn't look nearly so absurd compared to CAD $1,650.

Again, the original lathe is deep in the interior of BC which changes things

Craig

Ken from ontario

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
That lathe with all the extras will be between $1200 to $1500 CAD. in Ontario

Packard V8

Registered
Registered
Thanks for everyone sharing opinions of current market price for 618s. I have a nice one with tooling on a stand and would have put it on the market for much less. Who'd a thunk these little toys bring big lathe money now?

jack vines
spokane, wa

Tim9

H-M Platinum Supporter
Currency exchange rates makes a lot of sense here and no doubt location means a lot with machine tools. That said... even at @1500. US in a remote location... It should be well tooled up for that price with decent 3 & 4 jaw chucks plus a qctp.
The 618’s are woefully inadequate until you put a QCTP on them. They just aren’t ridged. But... they are wonderful little lathes to get ones foot in the door. And the atlas Groups.io is an excellent forum with tons of beginners getting all their questions answered daily. Really a great resource for a beginner. I always keep a soft spot in my heart for my 618 because it got my foot in the door when I was just getting started. Not great for steel...but adequate for aluminum and brass plus most plastics.

Bob Korves

H-M Platinum Supporter
David, if you are looking to buy a lathe (not stated) then what are your plans for what you want to do with it? The Atlas 618 is a very light lathe and is really only suitable for smaller work and preferably with softer metals. Good work can be done with them, but they are limited. Also, what do you have room for? The Atlas will fit into a tight area if that is a requirement, if not, an import 12x36 can be had for about the same price as that 618 is offered at, and perhaps less. It will be MUCH more capable. Starting out slow in a hobby can be a good thing, but not if it limits and frustrates you...

DavidR8

Soaking up knowledge!
H-M Platinum Supporter
Thanks all,
I have a mini lathe now so am not planning on buying the 618 (or any 618 for that matter) I was just surprised by the asking price. As others have said, local conditions dictate pricing.

Packard V8

Registered
Registered
The 618’s are woefully inadequate until you put a QCTP on them.
The answer is probably available somewhere here, but a quick search didn't find it for me, so what is a
"good enough for a 618" QCTP
and where did you buy it?

jack vines

Bob Korves

H-M Platinum Supporter
Here is the answer from our site's archives:

Aaron_W

Small machines hold their value well because their is a lot of demand for them. Far more people can find space for a small lathe than a full size.

With something like the small Atlas / Craftsman lathes you also begin to see the effect of collectors. Many deride Atlas lathes for their flat ways and cheap material (zamak) but regardless of their faults they have a very large following.

The little mills are similar Benchmaster and Atlas mills are often $1500 and I've seen them as high as $2600, prices that put them in direct competition with larger, much more capable machines. They are of a useful size for a hobbyist with a small space, US made and have become collectible so there are people willing paying those prices. It wouldn't surprise me if there are people with a shelf full of little machine shop tools on display, people will collect anything.

I have developed a bit of an obsession for small machines, and also have a collector gene passed down from my Dad. Luckily for my bank account my miserly tendencies, and already having good machines has kept things in check, so far... The result is I do watch for small machines to get an idea of prices and looking for a bargain. I do see the Atlas / Craftsman 6" lathes occasionally asking $1000-2000 (US), but I see enough at $300-600 to think the lower end is probably more realistic unless exceptionally nice and / or well tooled.

The answer is probably available somewhere here, but a quick search didn't find it for me, so what is a
"good enough for a 618" QCTP
and where did you buy it?

jack vines
Little Machine Shop makes a good one. I have their OXA on my Sherline and I've been happy with it. Not the cheapest QCTP but they are decent quality. They sell a specific package for mounting to the Atlas lathes.

Little Machine Shop QCTP for Atlas lathe

Packard V8

Registered
Registered
Thanks for the replies and suggestions. Seems a QCTP is $150 - $300. Now, that's more than I paid for the lathe. Just reinforces what I knew to be true; buy a fully tooled, fully operational machine.

I got a good deal on the lathe, but I've welded up a stand, added a motor, a switch, change change gears, tooling and now it needs a QCTP.

Anyway, good to know it's still at the break-even point should I decide to sell it.

jack vines

DavidR8

Soaking up knowledge!
H-M Platinum Supporter
Thanks for the replies and suggestions. Seems a QCTP is $150 - $300. Now, that's more than I paid for the lathe. Just reinforces what I knew to be true; buy a fully tooled, fully operational machine.

I got a good deal on the lathe, but I've welded up a stand, added a motor, a switch, change change gears, tooling and now it needs a QCTP.

Anyway, good to know it's still at the break-even point should I decide to sell it.

jack vines
For what it's worth I bought a 0XA Machifit QCTP and four tool holders from Banggood for $140 CDN.
I'm very impressed with their quality.

Tim9

H-M Platinum Supporter
Wow... I’m surprised that an aluminum OXA QCTP cost that much. I’d definitely keep an eye on Banggood
I’m sure I paid @ 100 for mine from Little Machine shop.
Anyway... paying extra for a well tooled package definitely saves one in the long run.

Packard V8

Registered
Registered
For what it's worth I bought a 0XA Machifit QCTP and four tool holders from Banggood for $140 CDN.
I'm very impressed with their quality.
Thanks for the link, but one has to look carefully. It nearly had me ordering one tool holder instead of the complete kit in the illustration. Very misleading at first.

jack vines

DavidR8

Soaking up knowledge!
H-M Platinum Supporter
Thanks for the link, but one has to look carefully. It nearly had me ordering one tool holder instead of the complete kit in the illustration. Very misleading at first.

jack vines
It’s a bit confusing.
You select the specific parts you want and add the quantity.
Took me a few minutes to understand what was going on.
It’s a wedge-style steel post.
Steve Jordan does a review which is what steered me to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aaron_W

jack vines
The LMS QCTP is a set with the correct mounting stud for the Atlas and several tool holders. Many of the cheaper ebay tool posts are just one tool holder and you are on your own for mounting it to your specific lathe, usually set up for the Chinese mini-lathes. Easy to spend more on a "bargain" tool post if not comparing like to like as you have noticed.

Someone on the forum made their own QCTP. It isn't the Aloris style but looked functional, just different. I tried searching for the post, but coming up empty.

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock