Atlas clausing 4803 spindle question

oogenshire

Registered
Registered
i have an atlas clausing 4803 lathe, i cannot seem to lock the spindle to remove the chuck. ive 3d printed every gear holder tool ive found but they all seem to be for smaller lathes, any advice?

i have an atlas clausing 4803 lathe, i cannot seem to lock the spindle to remove the chuck. ive 3d printed every gear holder tool ive found but they all seem to be for smaller lathes, any advice?
I haven't seen anybody share 3D print files for the blocks that engage the bull gear, but the one you need is pretty inexpensive on eBay....way less that what I paid for mine.

Oogenshire,

One of the things that Atlas did after buying Clausing around 1950 was to change several of the model numbers, including changing the 100 series to the 4800 series. But it appears that the Clausing people eventually took over the company, although they did not change any of the model numbers back to the old ones. In any case, you will probably have better luck with getting a quick answer to your question if you go over to the Clausing Forum and ask your question there. H-M is organized along those lines. And do not put "Atlas" in front of Clausing in your description as that may lead to confusion in the other direction. However, besides doing that, you should probably look at the Stop Block mentioned above. Use Clausing instead of Atlas Clausing in your search on eBay. I bought one of the Atlas ones and have had to use it a couple of times.

Last edited:
What I was trying to get across is that an Atlas Clausing 4800 is about the same machine except for nameplates as the Clausing Series 100-3a. And as there are a lot of other sizes of 4-digit model number Clausing lathes plus Mills, etc. that share nothing in common with anything ever built by Atlas, Clausing has its own FORA or area for discussions of manuals, parts, operations, etc. and in Downloads. FYI, the current official name of the company is Clausing Industrial.

Last edited:
Back