Atlas-craftsman 101.07301 Chuck Wobble

Ed,

In the aftermath of trying to send my previous, I finally caught the thread title and see that you have a 618. So the spindle register dimensions are 1.0000"/0.9995". Not 1-1/2" nominal. Sorry.

Wa5cab
Thanks so much for the time and effort you put into this. I will try to get a local to help me. just not sure who.

You're welcome. Good luck.

I took the chuck to a local machine shop my neighbor told me about. Turned out to be my wife's 1 1/2 cousin. I didn't even have to tell him what I wanted he took one look at the chock and told me. I gave him the measurements I took on the spindle and he said he would call me in a couple days and then came out to the car and had a long talk with my wife. I am excited that I might get this thing working soon. Ed

Sounds good.

What is a 1-1/2 Cousin?

My father in laws first cousin is my wife's 1 1/2 cousin because the change is only on one side of the family. If you step down on both sides you have 2nd cousins. ( two first cousins have children their children would be 2nd cousins) My wife is Mennonite and they have kin figured out to the .00000001". I never knew any of this until I married her.

I just got through monuting a new chuck to my machine so have been dealing with similar issues. Rather than take the backplate to another machinist you can make a 1/4" sleeve carefully filed and sanded to have parallel faces that would allow the backplate to 'snub up'. Holding a piece of 1" ID tubing in the steady rest, face off the end then part off a 1/4" ring. Now the faces are parallel but will need touching up for precision. This between your backplate reversed will allow you to remove the offending threads. Be sure to get enough, I skimped and wasn't quite snubbing up to the spindle shoulder but didn't realize it until the chuck wasn't true. I had to go back and do it again. You might want to take a look at this thread: machinistweb.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3580
MikeMc

Ed,

OK. I would have called him her 2nd cousin I guess.

Mike & Ed,

The counterbore depth is not critical so long as it is deep enough. But the diameter of the counterbore is critical. Regardless of who does the machining, I would expect to see a faint outline of the threading tool left in the counterbore when it is the correct diameter.

The guy knew exactly what I wanted before I asked and I know He will do his best. H said he thought 2 thousands over the spindle size would be good. He is going to cut it to 5 thousands deeper than the shoulder. He should call before to many more days, and then we will see what I have. A chuck or an anchor.

OK guys it is time to say I TOLD YOU SO. You guys told me to measure the spindle for run out, but I knew that the problem was in the chuck. I got the chuck turned out to fit the spindle and I still have 60 thousands wobble on the face of the chuck. I measured the spindle and the shaft behind the threads has 5 thousands run out and the face of the collar has around 40. I know I could buy a spindle but right now I feel like using it for a boat anchor.

Back