Atlas/Craftsman 12-24 "101" lathe. Which quick change tool post?

CPO Ted

Registered
Registered
So I'm coming into a little extra money, about $150, and I'm thinking about buying my old Craftsman/Atlas 12-24 "101" lathe a present. I just cannot afford much, so I'm thinking about one of those Amazon or Ebay Shars (or other), all steel, no aluminum, quick change tool posts and holders.

I don't know ANYTHING about these, but would like to get the best I can for what money I have. Yes, I know where these are made.

Other than brand, can somebody tell me about sizes for my 12 inch? And maybe which is the best tightening device, wedge or piston?

I don't even know what I don't know about these things so any help would be appreciated.

I have read, but only have experience with the wedge type which seemed to have the better reviews. As advertised the 12" lathes take an AXA, but you need to verify your actual center height. At the time I just took a chance, and bought an AXA for my 1228, and it worked. The gurus will be along soon.....

I would advise against the very inexpensive OXA aluminum type holders and tackle.
I tried that route and I found rigidity suffered to the point of ineffectiveness.

The Shars AXA tackle is decent, i have my home lathe (1236 Shenwai )
The holders and post needed some massaging for good fit with a couple of the holders, but for the price, I was willing to forgive some QC shortcomings

I've got a wedge type axa on my atlas 10". Best purchase so far. I've never used a piston type, but my wedge does everything I ask of it with no fuss.

I bought mine used off ebay. Happened to be inthe right place at the right time and got the post, a cut off tool holder (with blade), two pressure knurlers and 2 standard holders for 100 bucks (cdn). That includes the shipping.

They're out there, you just have to watch and be patient.....or buy new and pay more. One thing to note is things on ebay don’t seem to be going for the same prices they used to, people seem to be asking much more which is orobably a reaction to all the “inflation” talk.

If your lathe has anything other than the flat topped 12" compound, you're going to have to machine a larger flat on the top compound to fit the square post. I started off with a machined flat compound and eventually built a solid plinth to hold the post. Makes the lathe much more rigid and it pretty much ended my problems with chatter when parting.

Last edited:
On your budget of $150 I would make a Norman style QCTP. That is what I did. For $100 I was able to buy enough steel to make 20 holders. I had the material for the post on hand. Not hard to make. Only need a lathe and a drill. to make the holders. Doesn't hurt if you have a mill. Here is my thread detailing what I learned after using mine for a year or so.

Yep, AXA is the correct size for a Craftsman 12”. Wedge over piston. Bought a Phase II 20 years ago before they got quasi expensive, but fit right.

Yep, AXA is the correct size for a Craftsman 12”. Wedge over piston. Bought a Phase II 20 years ago before they got quasi expensive, but fit right.

No aluminum, AXA, Wedge type, 250-111, and NO ALUMINUM! Got it. Thanks all y'all up there.

That windfall better blow my way soon ... these things are getting more pricey every day. I'm going to shop this kinda hard. Have y'all noticed that Amazon ain't the bargain it once was?

On your budget of $150 I would make a Norman style QCTP. That is what I did. For $100 I was able to buy enough steel to make 20 holders. I had the material for the post on hand. Not hard to make. Only need a lathe and a drill. to make the holders. Doesn't hurt if you have a mill.

Very interesting ... and since I'm in the position of having a LOT of time but not much money, I'm going to read that thread a couple more times and give it a good hard think. Yes, there are a couple spots where having a mill would be handy but nothing that couldn't be worked through.

Kick your budget up to around the $200 mark and you can buy a new import off ebay....wedge with some basic toolholders to start you off.

Back