Atlas craftsman 12 inch lathe gib

Selbyrk

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Does anyone have a carriage gib for 12 inch atlas lathe or a drawing to make one? It is 9 inches long or so with 4 set screw indents
Thanks
Selbyrk

@Selbyrk, since you are a premium member (thank you for supporting the site) you can access the downloads section. There are drawings for Atlas gibs in there, you'll just have to check to see if one fits your 12" model. Otherwise, you can learn enough about how Atlas designed them to scale up and reproduce the part.

If you can't find one it shouldn't be that hard to make.
May have to get a SLIGHTLY larger piece of stock and make it myself. What is material for atlas craftsman 12 in model number 101.07383 gib? Steel or brass?
@Selbyrk, since you are a premium member (thank you for supporting the site) you can access the downloads section. There are drawings for Atlas gibs in there, you'll just have to check to see if one fits your 12" model. Otherwise, you can learn enough about how Atlas designed them to scale up and reproduce the part.
Been thru drawings did not see what I need. Is the part steel or brass? Thx

I'll take a look at mine, but I think it's steel. Mike

Definitely steel, with a high chromium content. I'd probably try a 400-series stainless if it were me.

Attached to this post is the blueprint for an Atlas 10" cross slide gib. Which position or lathe it came from makes no difference, the valuable information is the parallelogram's geometry and its angles. The width, thickness, and length can all be measured off of your lathe. This gib is not likely to make much of a negative impact if you don't hit the dimensions perfectly. It will not change the position of the carriage, since the reference geometry for the carriage position is the front edge of the front-most way. Fatter or thinner, any gib close enough to fit still keeps its alignment with the bed ways.

Attachments

• Atlas 10-56 Cross Slide Gib.pdf
    100.7 KB · Views: 12
I checked mine. It's steel, and just a flat rectangular shape. should be pretty easy to replicate. Mike

You're right, I realized after answering that one of the three gibs in the carriage assembly is indeed flat and rectangular in profile. There are also some pocket holes in the back for the gib screws to seat in so it doesn't fall out. With the machine in front of you for reference and dimensions, it should be a trivial undertaking.

We do not have the drawing for the Atlas 12" or late Atlas-Craftsman 12" carriage gib # 345-009 or for the Atlas 10" and early Atlas-Craftsman 12" # 10F-57 because they are still considered active parts and Clausing still has a few on the shelf, or did a couple of years ago.

All of the other Atlas 6", Atlas-Craftsman 6". Atlas 10" and Atlas-Craftsman 12" cross slide and compound slide gibs that the Clausing bean counters had changed to plastic in 1974 we have the original factory drawings of the steel versions of. Or if you want to buy them already finished, contact MyMachineShop.NET.

Back