Atlas/Craftsman Lathe Motor and Countershaft Pulleys

Randy, please let us know if Clausing still has the pulley.

Kelly, please post photos of your setup when you machine the large pulley casting. I could not think of a way to do it myself, but I am not very creative. And yes, if you machine it yourself as you describe it should run true. I made the motor pulley and the small countershaft pulley from aluminum and they run perfectly true - no perceptible wobble.

Oddly, the Atlas parts list I have labels it a 560-060, but my pulley has the same part number from a Craftsman 12” parts list I have: 9-427

I believe they are interchangeable but different parts. 560-060 is the heavier part with the three holes in the hub used on newer versions of the lathe. It may be sand cast aluminum....dunno, cuz I've never actually seen one. 9-427 is the die cast Zamak part.

Best,
Kelly

Kelly, please post photos of your setup when you machine the large pulley casting.
Here's what I was thinking JP. Chuck on the large pulley OD in 3-jaw, and bore a .750" shaft hole. Maybe face the accessible diameter and annular surfaces while you're there since it will be held securely. Then make an arbor, press it into the shaft hole, chuck on the arbor, and set up as below with a boring bar or tool holder mounted outboard on the tool post.

10 Machine Pulley.jpg

Will probably need to make a round or square cutting tool and make a tool holder with a hole or slot with a set screw to hold the cutting tool to reach the inside groove on the smaller step but it should work for all grooves. Set the compound at 17 degrees and advance the compound to cut grooves.

11 Pulley Tool.JPG

Light cuts! Seems like it should work......we'll see.

Best,
Kelly

Looks good Kelly. Hopefully with light enough cuts you won't have rigidity issues. Please let us know how it goes. And if you ever feel like producing the large pulley castings for sale please let me know. I would try to do the finish machining myself.

I believe they are interchangeable but different parts. 560-060 is the heavier part with the three holes in the hub used on newer versions of the lathe. It may be sand cast aluminum....dunno, cuz I've never actually seen one. 9-427 is the die cast Zamak part.

Best,
Kelly

Randy, please let us know if Clausing still has the pulley.

@kcoffield @JPMacG Clausing does have the pulley in stock. I've only called them 3 times, and they've had all 3 parts in stock (half-nut scroll, carriage lock, and this countershaft pulley). That absolutely blows my mind.

Ordered one today. $86 + shipping. In my giddiness, I forgot to ask him my total with shipping. Actually...one sec I'll check my bank. $111.04 to my door. So: holy crap on the shipping, but still a helluva deal compared to eBay - especially for an assumedly new part. And hopefully that means either a wobble free part, or I can hold them accountable for a wobbly part.

He did confirm for me (well, via the picture in his system; he did not physically check the part on the shelf) this is the "Craftsman style" with 3 concentric weight-saving holes. It is not the "Atlas style" with 4 curved spokes/arms. He did not know which part number it is, only that 560-060 and 9-427 both cross-referenced to this 3-hole style he has in stock. And he said he has "a few" of them in stock.

I asked a couple extracurricular questions about their vintage stock. Is there any rhyme or reason to which parts they do/don't stock? Without laughing at me, can you confirm there's nothing close to an inventory or catalogue for customers?
I'll summarize his answers:
  • No rhyme or reason. Some parts they have; some they don't.
  • They have parts to machinery (not limited to lathes, of course) going back to 1930's.
  • They sell "a lot" of this vintage stock.
  • Some of it is new old stock.
  • Some of the parts are actually manufactured new (this surprised me the most) - parts that sell well and they still have the prints for.
  • And sometimes when a NOS item is depleted, they still make this determination: was this a part that sold well, do we have the prints, cost evaluation of having this part manufactured, etc.
  • No catalogue or customer-accessible inventory, of course.
  • Oh and, in response to a comment I made, he acknowledged they are very much aware of the price-inflated eBay market, and giving customers a fair-price alternative is exactly what they strive to do.
fyi I've done a good amount of paraphrasing.

Very interesting!

@kcoffield I completely glossed over the fact that you still have to figure out how to do the compound angle turning -- on a part my tape measure puts at 9 5/16" diameter -- on a 10" swing lathe. As such, I would say I'm still technically interested to know if you ever make any to sell, but I'll assume that you would rightfully want 3 times the eBay price. :D

Your intended setup looks good to me. But I know squat. I don't know if you guys saw my other "broken pulley" post, but you're talking to a guy that is currently JB Weld'ing his broken pulley hahaha. Now, I'll give the same obligatory statement: this is out of boredom, not an expectation of success. But I will say: I swear it's turned out straighter than before I broke it :oops:. So I may have to retract my promise not to spin it up under power, but I'll downgrade it to: I'll at least back the car out of the garage and hide behind a piece of 3/4" ply that is not perpendicular to the spindle. :grin:

......but you're talking to a guy that is currently JB Weld'ing his broken pulley hahaha.
:eek 2::eek 2::eek 2:
Your intended setup looks good to me.......I completely glossed over the fact that you still have to figure out how to do the compound angle turning --
I think it should work but it's not free from doubt. It's big diameter but that just means lower speed. I don't see any problem advancing the compound that small distance for the groove at the set angle. The initial cuts will likely be a bit hariy because the casting will have some run out and dimensional inaccuracies that will cause interrupted cutting initially.
on a part my tape measure puts at 9 5/16" diameter.
I measured mine at 9 3/16".....

Here's an eBay seller that sells pulleys at reasonable prices in sizes that will work on Atlas Craftsman Lathes. There are large single groove pulleys in 7", 8", 9" 10" in 3/4 bore for the countershaft. Also smaller 2"/3" step pulley's in 1/2" and 5/8" bore for $17. Not strictly the OE set up but may be a less expensive alternative for some. The links may go dead but the seller's name is Shornutz.

Items for sale by shorenutz | eBay

Her's the 9" 3/4" bore -$34

Chicago Die Cast Single V Groove Pulley A Belt 9" OD X 3/4" Bore 900A7 | eBay

Best,
Kelly

Last edited:
Someone recently made the statement that you didn't really need the speeds given be one or the other of the two groove pairs of the original pulleys. In my experience over the past 40 years, that isn't true unless you never try to run the SFM at more of less the optimum value for the material and its diameter. I do, and find that I frequently switch from the faster to the slower speeds or vice versa.

Finally got back on the pulleys and finished them up. I used a couple calculators I found online to tweak the pitch diameters so the centerline distance was the same for each of the two sheave combinations, so the belt tension should remain the same when switched and not require tension adjustment. I decided to machine the smaller pulley first, as it didn’t pose any problem for the lathe capacity.

I chucked on the smaller sheave diameter in the 3-jaw, machined the larger OD, faced, and bored it for a .625” shaft. I used a grooving tool to cut the bottom of the v-groove width and depth, then used this little boring bar with the with the compound set at 17 degrees from each side to cut the faces of the larger diameter sheave. I’m not sure what the dinky little insert is…..it may be HSS, I don’t know. It came from a bunch of tooling I inherited, but it was a sharp little bugger.

12 Boring Bar.JPG
13 Small Op 1.JPG

Had to check the belt to make sure I was on the right track.

14 Check Belt.JPG

Next, I drilled the set screw in the root of the larger sheave.

15 Small Set Screw.JPG

I turned a small 5/8” stub shaft and mounted the pulley on the shaft with the set screw, then proceeded to turn the features on the smaller diameter sheave.

16 Cut Smaller Sheave.JPG

….and the turning work was done on the small pulley.

17 Small Pulley Done.JPG

Next up was the larger pulley. The finished OD was 9.188 on the large pulley. I had to get creative for the larger OD sheave as it was at the very outer limits of the capacity of the 12” Atlas. I used the four jaw, gripped on the smaller sheave, and indicated in the diameter and face. The casting was far from perfect. I gave them a T5 heat treat and that helps quite a bit but you’ll never get wrought stock finishes. The first cuts were interrupted but I started at .010” until I got continuous contact.

18 Large Pulley Op 1.JPG

I proceeded to face and bore it for the .75” shaft. It was nice having the VFD and being able to step up/down the speed on the fly for the hub and outer diameters.

19 Faced and Bored.JPG

Next, I used a grooving/parting tool to cut the bottom of the large sheave to width and diameter. This was a bit hairy. I had the compound and cross slide fully retracted and still had to move the tool back in the holder. The machine was really vulnerable in this position so I took VERY light cuts, but there was still high pucker factor.

20 Grooving.JPG

Then I did the near side groove face with the boring bar and compound set at 17 degrees…..also very light cuts. I could not reach the head stock side of the groove from this set up.

21 Near Side Face.JPG

Then I set up a very crude fixture on the mill to bore the set screw. It was just a couple of pieces of angle iron clamped in the vice and then the pulley clamped to the angle iron…..good enough to drill and tap a small hole.

22 Large Pulley Set Screw.JPG

Then I was able to mount the pulley on a .75” stub shaft and chuck it in the 3-jaw. Facing was straight forward on the smaller of sheave side. I was able to use the same small boring bar with the compound alternately set at +-17 degrees to complete the other side of the large OD and both sides of the smaller sheave

23 Facing Sheaves.JPG

......and the turning was done.

24 Large P Turning Done.JPG

Quick check of the belt fit up.

25 Belt Check.jpg

Then I pushed a 3/16 broach through the smaller pulley.

26 Done Broached.JPG

The .75” shaft isn’t keyed on the drive shaft of the original set up. The pulley is just retained with the set screw in a drill point on the shaft. Not sure I like that. I’m considering pulling the shaft and cutting a key way in the shaft and broaching the larger pulley. I may also need to set up and level a couple joiner blades and see how well balanced the larger pulley is, but other than that, the pulleys are ready to be installed.

Best,
Kelly

Back