Atlas Craftsman Lathe on CR

How much should one really pay for something like this? I am interested in finding old bench lathes for restoration but most of themforsaleare ridiculously high $$$. Saw an Enco/Grizzly/HF 12x36 the other day for $4000!

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/tls/3914272263.html

Steve

The new machines usually have a quick change and can cut metric and standard American. Most have ball bearing spindles. a Hardened bed, a warranty, customer service, etc.
That's is an older machine and it looks like it's been cared for, but hasn't been used for a while. I would say it is over priced as I have seen others sell for $ 300.00 to $500.00. Have you called the seller? Was he the original owner? See if he would take less. If he is the original owner, maybe you can get him to show you how to use it if you need to know. I had a friend show me his Atlas he bought for $800.00 a few years ago and it has a quick change and all kinds of attachments and tooling also. At that price I don't think he will sell it. Rich

How much should one really pay for something like this? I am interested in finding old bench lathes for restoration but most of themforsaleare ridiculously high $$$. Saw an Enco/Grizzly/HF 12x36 the other day for $4000!

Steve

Steve,
I live in Houston and have found most machines for sale in Texas are priced by people smoking crack. :nuts: Anything at a decent price is junk, and after refurb you will have as much as just buying a decent lathe from up north and shipping it. I looked on craigslist for over a year, and finally bought one off of fleabay and paid to ship it. Bought a 12-36 with quick change for $430 gave him another $300 for the original stand and it cost me $320 to ship from Delaware. So for $1100 I had a running lathe requiring no work, and was still under the cheapest comparable lathe I had looked at here for $1400 with no stand. I have found most machines are up north, unless you want to purchase some old oilfield behemoth . My atlas mill came out of Indiana and it only cost $200 to ship it, so if your looking for a deal start shopping craigslist up north (searchtempest.com) and factor in a couple hundred to ship and you'll find it's more reasonable. I use YRC freight and they are wonderful, 4 days from Delaware to Houston damage free, delivered to my doorstep.

I would also say that is a bit over priced. But I have found everything I am looking for is over priced.

Steve

In answer to your question if he would loose the 1 on the front of the price tag he would be in the ballpark. First of all look how it's mounted, on plywood, it may be warped or twisted being mounted this way. I would have to take a good look at it and he would have to come way off of that price!!
Found a current example of a Texas "deal". http://houston.craigslist.org/tls/3950621116.html
Looks like it might still be under power if you are brave or crazy enough to try it out!!!!!:roflmao:

Being an Atlas with the old style thinner bed,and no QC box,I'd not pay more than $300.00 for it.

In answer to your question if he would loose the 1 on the front of the price tag he would be in the ballpark. First of all look how it's mounted, on plywood, it may be warped or twisted being mounted this way. I would have to take a good look at it and he would have to come way off of that price!!
Found a current example of a Texas "deal". http://houston.craigslist.org/tls/3950621116.html
Looks like it might still be under power if you are brave or crazy enough to try it out!!!!!:roflmao:

I'd jump on that if I were close....that has plenty of life left in it ......more than $600 worth .....

I'd jump on that if I were close....that has plenty of life left in it ......more than $600 worth .....

Point being $600 for the machine, $150 for a wrecker to move it, hours tearing it down, $300 at the sandblaster, $500-700 to resurface the ways, $200 at the motor rebuilder, belts bearings priimer paint etc etc, I could have bought and shipped one for less, and not had all of the work in it. Yes if you were out to make money, parting this one out on fleabay you could probably make $1000 or so, but that's a lot of work for such a small return on investment, then your still stuck with the main casting, hauling it to the scrapyard.

This lathe comes with a lot of accessories, don't discount that. I've seen these Atlas/Craftsman lathes go for 500 to 600 out here (west coast) with essentially no tooling. You will have to come up with the accessories if you want to use the lathe. I bought an Atlas 12x36 and have been adding all the accessories, it is essentially ready to work now (3 and 4 jaw chuck, face plate, QC tool holder, MT2 &3 dead centers, MT2 live center, MT2 drill chuck, steady and follow rests). I have about $1000 in it after putting some parts on it as well. There's a lot of talk on this thread about the desirability of the QC threading gearbox. That depends on what you are going to use it for. For a hobby lathe, a change gear lathe is more versatile. You can cut threads with it that you can't with the QC gearbox (without adding change gears to it). It's a bit more of a pain to change feeds. Note that those change gears that are included with that lathe normally go for over 100 on eBay. I don't think the lathe is worth 1700, but I don't think you are going to get it given to you.

Back